Authors: Paul Franco

Bands often have to claw and fight their way to the top. This involves getting your music out there by any means necessary.

Tactics such as playing any show no matter how small, and harassing radio station managers are common avenues to getting to the top of the musical heap. A rarer occurrence is flat out brawling between bands.

This last tactic to establishing musical success will be employed by 10 different bands from in and around the Front Range area on Sunday at Linden’s Brewing Company, at 214 Linden, in Old Town. On this night local musicians will be engaging in axe-to-axe combat, pitting their musical skills against one another for the title of Front Range’s best band in the 11th Annual Battle of the Bands.

It’s bound to get a little bloody at times, but one thing is for sure: it will all be good natured and a hell of a good time. Starting at 2 p.m. and continuing for nine straight hours the 10 bands will play sets of 30 minutes and be judged on such categories as originality, musical skills and stage presence by a panel of eight judges from local businesses, radio stations and newspapers.

The 10 bands were given the opportunity to compete in this battle from over 50 applicants due to the strength of their sound and presentation. The final line-up consists of bands whose music ranges from the ambient, electronic, pop- rock of Denver-based Xiren, to the acoustic fusion of R & B and rock with Latin rhythms from The Lush Life.

Matt Furlong and Davis of the fourth act, FatKnucleJack, say they offer a sound with “a steady rock edge [and] a melodic vocal appeal that together produces songs that are inventive, original and radio friendly.” Davis and Furlong said, win or lose, they are happy to have been “included on a bill to play with nine other great bands in front of a great crowd … and make [new] fans.”

Rick Smith, from the sixth act, My Sick Friends, said they bring to the table a style all their own, “[We play] pop-rock-n-roll and we’re the only band that plays this style in the battle of the bands.”

As for their chances, Smith said, “Our chances? [It] doesn’t really matter, [as long as there’s] exposure [and] a night out playing with our sick friends, we will always have a good time!”

Jason Larson, from Hollowbody, also makes no promises as to how his band is going to stack up against the competition, but said, “The only thing I’m 100 percent sure of is that we are going to have a blast playing and do everything we can to tear the roof off the sucka.”

If the excitement of these bands is any indication, it is going to be an energetic, fun-filled day of eclectic music from the selected lineup that includes the previously mentioned bands and Cheyenne’s very own Tuffcat, Last Exit, Collegian favorite Adeline, KCSU favorite Vagabond and George’s August Brew. Each band brings their unique brand of music to the competition in hopes of winning over fans and being named No. 1.

It will be a hard fought battle on Sunday at Linden’s, but by the end of the day one band will reign supreme as winner of 11th Annual Battle of the Bands.

Bands Playing:

Tuffcat, 2 p.m.

Last Exit, 2:45 p.m.

Xiren, 3:30 p.m.

FatKnuckleJack, 4:15 p.m.

Adeline, 5 p.m.

My Sick Friends, 7:30 p.m.

Vagabond, 8:15 p.m.

Hollowbody, 9 p.m.

George’s August Brew, 9:45 p.m.

The Lush Life, 10:30 p.m.