Authors: Kyle Endres

When the Lory Student Center Food Court begins serving for the fall 2003 semester, there will be three new companies for students to choose from.

The student center is offering students and faculty the chance to decide what additional choices they have when it renovates its food court over the 2003 summer.

“We want to make sure what we bring in satisfies the customer,” said Robert Peters, director of business services for the student center. “I think there’s a great deal of interest in the food court.”

All the existing companies will remain at the food court.

The student center is pursuing consumer feedback on the new choices through a campus-wide survey. The survey consists of five questions, one of which asks about three generic types of foods consumers would like to see at the food court.

The categories for the generic surveys were recommended by the National Restaurant Association.

Surveys can be picked up and returned at the Campus Information Services, InfoToo, the food court and the student center director’s office. They are due back on Friday at one of these locations.

Once the surveys are returned, Peters will research corporate options for the generic foods chosen. After this, another survey will be offered asking consumer input on specific corporate companies.

Once the second survey is returned, the suggested companies and others will be investigated to find the most cost-efficient choices.

“I can’t stress enough that just because they like something, it doesn’t mean I can get it,” Peters said.

Alison Welsh, a senior technical journalism major, believes the food court needs to catch up with the times.

“I think it’s a good thing they’ve got these surveys out,” she said. “There needs to be a change. It kind of seems outdated.”

Danny Hadley, a sophomore technical journalism major, wants more national chains at the food court.

“I think it’d be a good idea to bring in more outside business, because the food that the university is making just isn’t cutting it,” Hadley said. “I think people are more willing to go somewhere they know.”

Peters hopes students understand their role in choosing the new companies.

“One of the important things to understand is we’re looking for (student) feedback,” he said. “We want them to be heard.”