Authors: Joelle Milholm

In its last tournament until February, the CSU women’s golf team will take part in the Las Vegas Founders Classic hosted by UNLV.

CSU will be one of 15 schools participating, including all five other Mountain West Conference women’s golf teams, instate rival CU and Pepperdine, the No. 14 team in the nation.

CSU head coach Angie Hopkins’ previous team, New Mexico, is also ranked nationally at the No.16 spot.

The field should be very challenging, with Golf Week magazine ranking all but three teams in the top 100 in the country. CSU was at No. 55.

With winter conditions shutting down golf courses, the Rams have been forced to hold practices indoors. Hopkins hopes that the extra emphasis on fundamentals and putting will be an advantage for the Rams.

“We went one and a half weeks without playing outside, so I think we really have the desire to just go out there and play,” Hopkins said.

The Heather Farr Memorial Tournament on Oct. 7-8 was the last tournament the Rams played in. The team took fourth place behind the strong play of sophomore Kristen Campos, who shot a 149 and tied for eighth place.

Sophomore Lynette Duran also played well, tying Campos for eighth, but entered the tournament as an individual and did not contribute to the team’s overall score. The team total of 606 was five strokes more than tournament champion Denver, but gave the Rams their second best finish of the season.

Hopkins thinks the large gap in between tournaments could also help CSU.

“It should be a very interesting tournament. We have not played in three weeks and we are definitely ready,” Hopkins said. “We are rested after our break and other teams are tired from playing long fall seasons.”

The tournament is being held at Anthem Country Club Golf Course with 18 holes being played on each day of the three-day competition. Monday’s and today’s rounds had 8:30 a.m. start times in the standard format, while a shotgun format starting at 9 a.m. will take place on Wednesday.