Authors: Spencer Goodfriend

A new photographic exhibit honoring Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. and Daisaku Ikeda is now on display in the Morgan Library.

The exhibit, which is near the library entrance on the east side of the first floor, was originally commissioned in 1999 at King’s alma mater, Moorehouse College. The exhibit has traveled across the country campus to campus, and is now at CSU until Dec. 13.

“The timing is perfect for what is going on in today’s world to find new ways to combat violence with discussion of peace. What better way is there to do this than to honor Gandhi, King and Ikeda in this exhibit,” said senior technical journalism major and event organizer Holli Mast. “They provide the foundation of what everyday people should use in their everyday lives.”

The opening of the exhibit was accompanied by a lecture on peace and understanding given by Bill Timpson, a professor of the school of education, and a film on the lives of Gandhi, King and Ikeda.

“Peace is not just something for world leaders to deal with, it is something all of us can and should practice.” Timpson said.

Timpson deals with these concepts and issues further in his book “Teaching and Learning Peace.”

“Especially in these times, this exhibit may give people a lot to think about,” said sophomore business major Josh Gruhl.

Additional discussion topics will be held Nov. 14 with a video and exhibit discussion, Nov. 21 will be Gandhi, Dec. 15 will be Martin Luther King Jr. and Dec. 12 will be Daisaku Ikeda.