Authors: Joelle Milholm

The relay races once again proved to be the CSU swim team’s strength in beating the University of Denver 97-24 and Northern Arizona 141-94. The Ram swimmers and divers thus improved their record to 4-1.

CSU easily took first in both the 400-yard medley and 400-yard freestyle. The time of 3:58.67 in the 400-yard medley was the best time of the season and beat second-place Northern Arizona’s time by nearly six seconds.

Junior Kristen Schneider had another victorious weekend, finishing on top in the 200-yard individual medley and 200-yard butterfly. Two freshman swimmers, Samantha Hofstetter and Taylor Fenton, also showed they can go the distance by taking first and second, respectively, in the 100-yard freestyle.

Junior Kristin Knudson and freshman Elizabeth Jones grabbed the top two spots in the 500-yard freestyle. Juniors Lissa Fisher and Jamie Robinson, and sophomore Lyndsey McCaslin took first, second and third, respectively, in the 200-yard breaststroke.

Junior Katie Peck took second in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 53.72 while Jones took third, finishing 0.71 of a second behind her. The Rams combined to win seven out of the eleven swimming events.

Lori Vigil was the top Ram diver, taking third in the one-meter event with a score of 252.25 and finishing second in the three-meter competition scoring a 273.10.

Senior Captain Erin Shumway felt the performance was not CSU’s best.

“We did OK, but we could have done a lot better. We were expecting Northern Arizona to be pretty good and they were,” Shumway said.

CSU will now spend a week preparing for one of its biggest meets of the season when it faces Mountain Conference rival UNLV. Both teams are undefeated in conference matchups this season, which will make for a competitive meet. The meet takes place on Saturday in Las Vegas.