Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Right now same sex couples are denied access to around 1,000 privileges and laws that heterosexual, married couples enjoy. The Colorado Springs City Council appears to be working to stop this inequality.

On Wednesday the City Council voted to offer health care benefits to same-sex partners.

We think it is very refreshing to see this city take a step in the right direction in terms of same-sex partner benefits.

Council member Jim Null was even quoted on 9News.com as saying, “To deny benefits because of sexual preference is wrong. It is unconstitutional, and we should have learned that years ago with Amendment 2.”

Amendment 2 was a statewide anti-gay-rights proposition that was passed by the voters but overturned by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1992.

We really like what they are trying to do. But, how would the city enforce it? What would the city make as punishment? Also, is the city ready for some asshole conservative group to take this law into court? Can the city afford it?

These are some questions that need to be addressed and hopefully will be by early December. The council members will vote on the city budget in December, which will put this up for review again

Aspen, Boulder, Denver, Glendale and Summit County are cities in Colorado that currently provide benefits to same-sex partners. Vermont is currently the only state that has same-sex benefits.

This is a great step in the right direction and could open doors for other cities and hopefully for other states and federally as well.