Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

A ribbon adorned with pictures of pets and their owners decorated the platform at the dedication of the new wing of CSU’s James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Wednesday.

Gen H. Norman Schwarzkopf was given the honor of cutting the ribbon. Schwarzkopf, along with Dean of Veterinary Medicine Lance Perryman and CSU’s President Albert Yates, spoke at the ceremony.

Shwarzkopf has been an active supporter of CSU’s veterinary medicine program for a number of years. His dog was a cancer patient at James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital.

“I’m very proud of everything I’ve ever done to support this organization,” Shwarzkopf said. “We all have a dream of someday killing cancer.”

The new wing is approximately 35,000 square feet. The $12 million price tag was covered entirely by donations, said hospital director Wendell Nelson. A large portion of the new wing is occupied by the Robert H. and Mary G. Flint Animal Cancer Center.

“We now have the finest, most advanced animal cancer center,” Yates said. The cancer center portion of the wing includes new office and administrative space, 12 new laboratories and 12 fully equipped examination rooms. Each of the new examination rooms has its own observation room to be used for training and teaching.

“They can observe without being physically in the examination room,” Nelson said. “This way faculty can assist students on how to work with clients.”

Junior Marti Shearin, studying to be a veterinary doctor, is looking forward to the new observation rooms because they will be less “awkward” than looking over someone’s shoulder while they perform an examination.

“It makes a big difference,” Shearin said.

The new wing will also house the Argus Institute and the Shipley Natural Healing Center.

The Argus Institute combines mental health experts and veterinarians in an effort to support clients going through a difficult time with their pet. They also help CSU students learn communication skills, said Teri Nelsen, clinical services coordinator for Argus.

The Shipley Natural Healing Center educates students about complementary and alternative veterinary medicine. They work to combine natural herbal healing and science, said Dennis Macy, clinical sciences professor.

The hospital’s namesake, James L. Voss, was very pleased with the new wing and the dedication ceremony.

“I’m very excited,” Voss said. “This is going to give us the facilities and equipment to continue to do outstanding research.”

Edited by Colleen Buhrer and Josh Hardin