Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

It’s Steve Cutlip all over again, but on a larger, more Hollywood scale.

Cutlip, the former CSU quarterback, dropped out of school and transferred to the University of Northern Colorado after he was caught stealing pens at a grocery store. Winona Ryder, a movie star known to many for her roles in “Beetlejuice” and “Girl Interrupted,” just wrapped up her court case for stealing over $5,000 worth of merchandise at Saks Fifth Avenue and is awaiting a jury’s decision.

Ryder faces a much stiffer penalty than our boy Cutlip; she could face three years in jail, which we think is unlikely because celebrities have a way of getting away with things normal folks cannot. However, and if found guilty, Ryder should get the same penalty any one of us would get if we did the same thing.

We think it is a bit ridiculous that people can get away with breaking the law simply because our judicial system is so star-struck. People are people and the law is the law. Plus, we helped make her a wealthy star when we went and saw her movies, what makes her above the law? Ryder owes the system something because our society made her successful.

Moreover, we think the attention given to this case is a bit ridiculous, even though this very column adds to the media over-saturation. People make mistakes and people face consequences, no matter how much attention is given to that person. Plus, Ryder is not a policy maker and her stealing only really hurts her morality, which is not that important in Hollywood. We think the media need to reevaluate its coverage and, perhaps, focus more on immediate, important news. Television programs and magazines exist for the express purpose of stories like this.

Whether you are a football player or movie star, we all make mistakes and should all have to face consequences. Ryder’s consequences likely will come more from the media than from the courts.