Authors: Laura Kath

For the past 23 years CSU’s Campus Club has been hosting a program allowing college students to mentor Fort Collins children aged 6-11.

“In 1979 there was a questionnaire provided by CSU asking what services the Fort Collins community wanted. The parents of Fort Collins wanted college-age mentors for their children,” said Mary Golden the assistant director and advisor to the campus club.

There are about 20 to 22 volunteers and 25 kids involved with the program, but the Campus Club is still looking for more applications for volunteers, because they want the ratio between the kids and volunteers to be about equal, said Joni Evans, the coordinator of volunteers and a junior majoring in social work.

Applications are available at the Service Learning and Volunteer Programs office in room 27 of the Lory Student Center, Golden said.

Campus Club matches up volunteers and children by personality types. Personality types are learned from the applications sent in and by observing who clicked with whom on the first day, Evens said.

“It would be a big interest for me, because I have worked with a lot of kids in the past,” said Dani Parmenter, a freshman in health and exercise science.

The volunteers and the kids meet every Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m. to volunteer at the Food Bank of Larimer county, the humane society and Buckle Bears, to name a few. They will also do crafts, pick up trash and do buddy-pair activities, Evans said.

“There are also volunteer activities where the volunteers can get to know each other better and bond as a group,” Evans said.

Campus Club focuses on mentoring youth between the ages of 6 and 11 and pairing them up with CSU student volunteers, Golden said.

“Our focus is to make a good match with volunteers and children and have them benefit each other as well as the community,” Golden said.

There is no experience necessary, but in order to be accepted one must love children and volunteering and must be able to make the year-long commitment, Golden said.

Edited by Shandra Jordan and Colleen Buhrer