Mid-term election madness

Authors: Melissa Pester

Polls for Election open at 7 a.m. today, as the candidates push to win Coloradans’ votes during the final hours left in this mid-term election.

Candidates in Northern Colorado’s districts have been working hard to be sure that every last voter gets a chance to hear the issues the individual candidates support.

State Sen. Marilyn Musgrave, the Republican candidate running for the seat in the 4th Congressional District, which includes Fort Collins, has spent the last four days calling unaffiliated voters. On Monday, Nov. 4 she attended four radio interviews, and, according to Guy Short, her campaign manager, she has spent time with her family.

“We would much rather be us than (State Senator Stan Matsunaka),” Short said when asked about Musgrave’s confidence before the polls opened. “He is going to lose and we are going to win.”

Musgrave’s Democratic counterpart, Matsunaka, spent Monday meeting with voters along Longmont’s Main Street, walked the University of Northern Colorado’s campus and attended a rally on CSU’s Lory Student Center Plaza.

“I’ve been drinking a lot of caffeine, I think I am running on adrenaline,” Matsunka said. “I feel good, I believe we have been working on the right diverse issues and there is a lot of diversity on our staff.”

Also in attendance at the pro-choice rally on the Plaza, was State House District 53 candidate Angie Paccoine.

“I am really energized, confident,” Paccoine said. “I believe Fort Collins is ready to preserve the moderate perspective that Rep. Bob Bacon started.”

Many candidates have been taking advantage of waving banners at Fort Collins drivers. Republican candidate for State House District 53, Kirk Brush has been doing just that.

“We started at about 7:30 (a.m. Monday) and will go back out for the evening rush hour,” Brush said.

When asked about how he feels the evening before the polls open he said, “I would not say I am confident, I am working hard and very curious to see the outcome of (today’s) vote.”

Democratic challenger for the U.S. Senate Tom Strickland has been traveling all over Colorado the last few days left on the campaign-visiting local towns and college campuses. “We’ve tried to get to every campus in Colorado,” he said. “I don’t think (Sen. Wayne Allard, his Republican opponent) has made an appearance on a college campus this campaign.”

In fact, Allard toured the new transit center at CSU last week, and has also been to the Veterinary Teaching Hospital and was at the CSU Homecoming game.

On Monday, Allard was completing a 96-hour door-to-door tour as Election Day arrived. The Colorado Senate race has been closely monitored this campaign and is labeled one of the closest in the nation.

“This could be the closest, most important race-and we are going to win it as a team,” Strickland said. “We are going to sprint to the finish line.”

-Edited by Vince Blaser and Ben Koerselman