Authors: Melissa Miller

About 200 people showed up to celebrate the grand opening of the Colorado State Orthopaedic Research Center on Friday, which is comprised of the newly constructed Gail Holmes Equine Orthopaedic Research Center.

“We finally have the space and facilities to match our knowledge and our goals,” said Dr. Wayne McIlwraith, director of the Orthopaedic Research Center. “This is the culmination of a long-term, ambitious campaign. We’ve worked hard to build the team talent and the facility that will be able to produce the kind of research results to make life better for horses and people.”

The new facilities feature a state-of-the-art surgical suite and the renovated and enlarged Orthopaedic Research Laboratory. The center is intended for continuing the same pioneering research it has conducted over the past eight years, advancing medical understanding in the areas of equine and human musculoskeletal disease and treatments.

Established in 1994, the former Equine Orthopaedic Research Program excelled in the areas of molecular biology, arthroscopic surgery, biomechanics and biochemistry.

“I’m very proud to see a dream realized from conceptualization to completion,” said Gail Holmes, for whom the center is named. Holmes headed the fundraising for the new research center.

“I’m expecting them (researchers) to make great accomplishments in research in areas of cartilage healing for both animals and humans,” Holmes said.

Current research projects at the Orthopaedic Research Center include gene therapy arthritis treatment, defining fluid markers that predict orthopaedic disease and the use of computer joint modeling to research fractures and methods of preventing them.

“(The center) allows us to have the basic science research on one side and the application on the other side,” said David Frisbie, assistant professor of equine surgery and manager of the Orthopaedic Research Center.

The new 15,200 square foot facility is located at 2503 Bay Farm Road just behind the James. L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital.

-Edited by Colleen Buhrer, Shandra Jordan and Ben Koerselman