Authors: Colleen Buhrer

Bali, Indonesia, nearly 200 people killed as bombs explode in a crowded nightclub, Oct. 12, 2002. Moscow, Russia, more than 700 Russians taken hostage by militant Chechens, 120 deaths to date, Oct. 23, 2002.

Both of these incidents have been compared to the terrorist attacks against the United States on Sept. 11. In Bali, the bombings that killed about 90 Aussies are being referred to by some as Australia’s Sept 11.

When the hostage situation first began in Russia, the media was noted as proposing that this could be Russia’s Sept. 11.

This leads me to ask, is Sept. 11 becoming a trend? I know these are only two examples, but with terrorism continuing to happen on the scale of killing hundreds of civilians at a time, it seems like it is possibly becoming a trend. Two events killing over 300 people combined happening within one month seems like a lot, and that is only two events, there are many more.

Maybe, since the attacks in the United States, when the terrorists succeeded where they hadn’t at this scale before, they have gained a sense of confidence that is reverberating throughout the world. Maybe they are more willing to kill more people at a time and try riskier tactics to get their point across.

Or maybe, we are just now more aware about what is going on in the world around us. Maybe the terrorism throughout the world is being reported to the American people more frequently and maybe the American people are paying more attention.

The attacks on America may have just opened people’s eyes to some of the things going on in the world outside of our borders. Believe it or not, it is a big place out there, with lots of people and a lot going on.

It may also be easier for Americans to understand what is going on in the world, now that they have something to compare it to. Now when something horrible happens somewhere else in the world people can say, remember how Sept. 11 felt to you? Well, that is how we feel now.

Terrorism happens throughout the world on almost a daily basis and has been for centuries. There has always been terrorism and mass killings of people throughout the world. Before, nobody in the United States knew about it, because the American people are often not concerned with what is going on outside the country’s borders.

Before Sept. 11, most people didn’t even know countries like Afghanistan existed, and now I hear people talking about the poor Afghan women and the horrible Taliban.

Before Sept. 11, most people knew the Middle East was violent, had lots of oil and that Saddam Hussein and the Persian Gulf was over there somewhere. Now people may know a little more.

The media is now reporting more frequently about events all over the world. Reporting about terrorism, about floods in Europe, about governments and elections in the Middle East, about people suffering throughout the world. People in America can now become more aware of what is going on in the world around them.

As Americans we still do not know very much about the outside world but this shows that maybe there is a chance that we can learn. We just need to open our eyes to what is going on around us.