Early voting ends today

Authors: Melissa Pester

With Nov. 5 approaching rapidly and voter registration deadlines complete the next step of the election lies in the hands of Colorado’s voters.

Early voting ends today at 7 p.m. Coloradans have the opportunity to vote early in their precinct in areas designated by individual county clerk offices.

“I already sent in my absentee ballot,” said Jillian Lush a junior social work major, who sent her absentee ballot to Alaska. “I was disappointed that most of the candidates at home didn’t have Web site, so I had to vote based on party-which sucked.”

Polling places will open at 7 a.m. and will remain open until 7 p.m. on Tuesday. A voter can find out where they can vote either in their voter registration packet or by calling their local county clerk or the Denver Election Committee.

“I have my parents tell me where to vote,” said Aaron Pinsker, a junior space engineering major.

Finding the proper polling place can be difficult for college students-especially those registered in the districts their parents live in. To register in a new precinct the voter has to be a resident there for at least 30 days.

Absentee ballots have been a way for people to get their vote in without having to enter their neighborhood’s polling place. Any registered voter can apply for an absentee ballot-and they could have been received as early as Jan. 1.

“I don’t believe in absentee voting because they usually don’t count it unless the race is really close,” Pinsker said. “I don’t trust it anymore, especially after the whole Gore/Bush fiasco.”

While many take advantage of the absentee ballot, there are still those who choose not to vote because home is just too far away.

“I think voting is a vital component of being a citizen,” said Tom Baxendale, a sophomore biology and English major, choosing to vote absentee this year. “And every U.S. citizen should make informed votes whenever possible.”

Edited by Vince Blaser and Josh Hardin

Early voting locations in Larimer County:

Larimer County Courthouse, Old Jury Room

200 W. Oak St.

Loveland Police and Courts Building

Conference Room

810 E. 10th St. in Loveland

For more information about voting, call the Larimer County Clerk at 498-7820 or visit www.co.larimer.co.us/elections