Authors: Joshua Pilkington

While thousands of CSU students endured the cold last week, CSU men’s golf team spent it in sunny California.

Playing in a pair of two-day tournaments – the Barona Collegiate Cup in Lakeside, Calif., Oct. 21-22 and the Nelson in Stanford, Calif., Oct. 25-26 – the Rams finished third and fourth, respectively, while closing out their fall season.

Junior Martin Laird, the defending Mountain West Conference champion, led the Rams in both finishes, scoring an eight-under 208 and finishing third in Lakeside, while posting a six-under 207 and a fifth place finish at the Nelson.

“Laird played really solid in both tournaments,” said head coach Jamie Bermel. “He was our low man at both.”

Bermel added that Laird set a school record by shooting two rounds of 65 in the first and third rounds of the Nelson.

Apart from Laird’s presence, the Rams got solid efforts from juniors Nolan Martin and Brett Tobyne, as well as senior Geoff Nuwash and freshman Kevin McAlpine.

Martin continued his string of consistent tournaments finishing at 27th with a score of 217 at Lakeside while taking 17th at the Nelson, shooting an even 213.

“Nolan has been consistent all fall,” Bermel said. “He’s only finished out of the top 20 in one of six tournaments.”

At Lakeside the Rams got off to a slow start when darkness forced the team to hurry through the last holes, landing the team with three bogeys and a double bogey.

The team bounced back, however, with a strong performance to take third behind San Diego State University’s score of 846 and Denver University’s 852, posting its own mark of 859.

Tobyne who finished 21st with a score of 215 and Nuwash (39th, 219) combined with Laird’s 208 and Martin’s 217 to tabulate the Rams’ team score in the tournament.

Peter Tomasulo of the University of California-Berkley and John Lepak of San Diego State, tied for the win as both shot 10-under scores of 206.

At the Nelson in Stanford the Rams faced tougher competition, but, according to Bermel, were ready for the challenge.

“The competition was comparably tougher at Stanford than in San Diego,” he said. “But we’ve been playing consistent all year so there were no concerns.”

In the three-round tournament the Rams shot team scores of 281, 290 and 283 giving them a team score of 854 for the tournament.

Following Laird and Martin were Tobyne (28th, 217), Nuwash (52nd, 223) and McAlpine (58th, 224) who rounded out the team scoring for the Rams.

Though his team finished strong and played consistently well during the fall season, Bermel said he was not sure if the product on the field was the team he would field come spring.

“We played eight of the nine guys on the team this fall,” Bermel said. “I don’t know if the team we put out there was the best team we can put on the course.”

Nevertheless, the strong fall has left the coach thinking about the prospects of an even stronger spring.

-Edited by Jon Ackerman and Josh Hardin