Authors: Helyna Bledsoe

The 69th annual Little Western started Friday night with horse showmanship and continued until Saturday afternoon, ending with the Round Robin.

“Little Western gives you insight into the western style of showing. I’m thinking about participating next year,” said Amber MacLaird, freshman equine science major, who watched some of her friend’s show Friday night and learned more about horse showmanship,

Little Western was started to expose people to animals they haven’t seen before said AJ Farrugia, sophomore equine and agriculture business major. “Anyone is welcome to show.”

About 60 CSU students showed five different species over two days, including beef, sheep, swine, horse and dairy. The Round Robin, a competition where each participant shows all species, was the final contest of the weekend. Danelle Schaneman, senior agriculture education major, was deemed Expert Showman.

“I enjoyed myself a lot. It was fun and a challenge,” Schaneman said. She has been showing since she was five years old but this was her first appearance at the Little Western event.

Tom Field, animal sciences professor, helped the Little Western run smoothly and he is a strong believer in the importance of campus involvement in agriculture.

“CSU is an ag. school, always has been, always should be and hopefully always will be. (The participants) are going the extra-mile,” said Field. “(Little Western) teaches them about being good stewards of animals and each other.”

Field hopes more students will learn about agriculture during their time at CSU.

“It’s time students took a stronger stand in agriculture. It’s time that the CSU faculty took a stronger stand in agriculture. It’s time that the CSU president took a stronger stand in agriculture” Field said. “The second agriculture becomes dead, democracy dies.”

-Edited by Colleen Buhrer, Shandra Jordan and Becky Waddingham