Authors: Helyna Bledsoe

Students awoke Wednesday morning to the first wintry day of the school year. Snow and ice made walking to class a little difficult for some, while others were happy to see the start of winter.

“I love snow, but there needs to be quantity otherwise I want it to be warm,” said Heather Menzer, freshman mechanical engineering major.

One student knew he would be waking up to a snowy Tuesday.

“It was kind of misting (Monday) night. I wasn’t surprised to see snow,” said Blake Teipel, freshman mechanical engineering major.

For many out-of-state students, Wednesday was an unforgettable moment.

“It’s exciting. I haven’t really seen snow before because I’m from Florida,” said Audrey Padgett, freshman equine science major. “I’m a little nervous about driving. I want it to keep snowing so we can go play outside.”

Although the mercury won’t be as high as it was last week, students can expect a few sunny days for the remainder of this week. Tuesday is expected to be the coldest day this week, said Richard Johnson, professor of atmospheric science.

“It won’t be extremely cold this week. Next week there is a chance of snow. It’s not unusual for it to be snowing in October,” Johnson said.

As for the rest of the upcoming winter, forecasts are still uncertain. It’s too early to tell if there will be a lot of precipitation this winter, Johnson said. But predictions from the National Weather Service will be available soon.

Meanwhile, students are preparing for the upcoming ski season.

“I like winter sports,” Menzer said.

Teipel agreed with Menzer. “I’m biased. I love skiing, so I love snow,” he said.

However, all is not a perfect winter wonderland for all students, including Teipel. “I hate riding my bike when it snows.”

-Edited by Shandra Jordan, Colleen Buhrer and Becky Waddingham