Authors: Laura Kath

The CSU Greek community is performing community service around Fort Collins throughout the semester.

For the CSUnity on April 13, Pi Kappa Phi and Gamma Pi Beta went around the neighborhood where their fraternity and sorority houses are located to see if they could be of assistance.

“We hoped to improve relations between us and the neighborhood,” said Kelly Lanning, a second year biology major. “People were very impressed by what we did.”

Pi Kappa Phi wanted to continue the service of helping community members.

“We want to turn this event into a tradition, but it takes a few times for this event to turn into a tradition,” said Lanning.

This year flyers with the date, time and contact numbers will be sent out to the neighborhood and information will be passed around by word of mouth.

Pi Kappa Phi and Gamma Phi Beta helped a few elderly people in the neighborhood by raking leaves, putting fence posts up, cleaning gutters, taking out stumps, as well as a few other chores.

“We had a great time and want to have an impact in the community,” said Robert Schneider, a sophomore in accounting and the community service chair for Pi Kappa Phi. “We want to improve the Greek life reputation.”

Pi Kappa Phi is in charge of the event and hopes to get help from a different sorority every semester, Lanning said. This semester the sorority Zeta Tao Alpha is helping with the project.

“As a senior citizen who has been finding these chores very difficult of late, I am extremely grateful for their work,” said Pat Lee, a neighbor who received aid.

Pi Kappa Phi want this to be more of a semester event and maintain contacts, in order to keep on giving aid, said Chris Cole, a junior in finance and marketing. “It would be nice to find more people in need of assistance,” he said.

The event date was set for Nov. 16, but due to scheduling conflicts, the fraternity and sorority are trying to set another date in November, Schneider said.

“What an uplifting experience for me to watch them,” Lee said. “They were cheerful and pleasant to talk with and are planning on helping their community with this project in the future.”

-Edited by Colleen Buhrer, Shandra Jordan, and Andrew Whelan