Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU cycling team finished 10th at the Collegiate Mountain Bike Nationals this weekend in Angel Fire, N.M. There were 13 racers representing CSU who competed in all of the events including the dual events, cross-country, downhill and Omnium.

The first races took place on Friday in the dual event, which consists of two riders going head-to-head in what cyclists consider a “BMX race on steroids.” The event had 53 racers on a course with 12-foot high berms, huge triple and double jumps and a rhythm section that tripped up a lot of riders.

Pete Hudson placed the highest for CSU in a very controversial 10th place because one of the course marshals said he failed to go through on of the gates. Three other CSU racers competed in the event, including Nate Adams (11th), Ken deAlmeida (27th) and Greg Smith (36th).

On Saturday, the cross-country competition featured 86 riders testing their skills on a very challenging 11-mile track. Nick Ranno, who finished sixth out of Rocky Mountain Conference members, led the Rams by taking 12th overall. Justin Maka took 64th.

In the men’s B, Chris Sulfrian finished ninth and teammate John Klish took 22nd out of 39 racers. Kelly Mogab, the solo female from CSU, placed 19th in a field of 45 in her first ever nationals race.

The downhill course in Angel Fire was the most challenging of the weekend, with racers finishing with times averaging around eight minutes, when normal downhill times range from four to five minutes. Four Rams finished in the top 30, with Adams topping the list in 15th. In the men’s B bracket, Maka took fourth and Sam Ceridon placed 7th.

There were 120 racers entered into the Omnium category, which totals the score from each event. CSU’s highest scorer was Ranno in 25th.

Ceridon, the club president, was very happy with the team’s performance at nationals, and all season long.

“We as a team were quite happy with the results. This has been an extremely successful building year,” Ceridon said. “Hopefully we have learned enough that as the next few years roll by, we can build on this year and continue to get better.”

CSU finished fourth out of Rocky Mountain Conference teams and had one of its most successful seasons ever.

Hockey Team Sweeps DU

The CSU hockey team completely dominated the club team from the University of Denver this weekend, winning both of its games by scores of 6-1 and 10-2. The victories brought the Rams’ record to 5-1 against other college teams.

CSU played outstanding hockey and had strong showings from both the offensive and defensive players. If it had not been for the amazing play of DU’s goalie, CSU might have scored even more.

“We really gelled as a team and played great,” senior Shawn Kallet said. “Everyone was finding great ways to put the puck in the net and it was a really fun game to play.”

CSU will look to continue its winning streak when it takes Denver on again at 7:45 p.m. on Nov. 2 at the Edora Pool and Ice Center.

Ultimate Frisbee goes 5-1 in Utah tournament

The CSU ultimate Frisbee team also had a very successful weekend, making it all the way to the semifinals and winning five games. Going into the tournament, the team was ranked fifth overall and was the second seed of its pool.

In the Rams’ first game against BYU, they came out strong and got an early lead that was too much for BYU to overcome, pulling off a 13-11 victory.

Advancing to the next round, they were matched up with Colorado School of Mines. In a very fast paced game, CSU again outscored its competition and won 13-11.

CSU’s next victory came against Colorado College with a score of 14-10, which made the Rams the third-ranked team and gave them a first round bye on Sunday.

In the quarterfinals against Montana State, Rob Knapik played outstanding defense to save some goals and keep CSU in the game. The offensive play of Tony Petraglia and Brett Kolinek, and CSU’s depth on the bench, gave the Rams the advantage they need to beat Montana State and put them in the semifinals against Colorado.

CSU came out strong against CU and put up some early goals, but too many red-zone turnovers allowed CU to make a comeback and eventually win 15-13.

“It is a bitter and hateful rivalry that has seen many disputes over the years and we gave CU all we had,” Mickey Thompson said.

Overall, the tournament proved that CSU’s ultimate Frisbee team is very talented and can compete with other teams from all over the western United States.

“We are looking to carry this great weekend into Georgia, where we will face some of the top teams in the nation,” Thompson said.

The team will travel to Athens, Ga., for the Classis City Classic on Nov. 16-17.

Rugby teams lose and tie tough matches with Arizona

The CSU A-side Rugby team lost 35-17 to the Arizona Wildcats on Sunday in what started out to be a very close game. The Rams had a great start, scoring early but also allowed Arizona two penalty kicks, making the score 6-5.

Towards the end of the first half, Arizona put a few more tries on the board and made the score 21-5 at halftime.

CSU again came out strong and scored the first try of the second half to decrease the Wildcats lead to nine. A dispute in the middle of the second half placed senior scrumhalf Tim Guerra in the sin bin, causing CSU to play five minutes with only 14 players.

Arizona used this to its advantage and put CSU away by scoring more tries and winning 35-17.

The B team had a little more success than the A team in a very close game that ended in a 22-22 tie. CSU maintained the lead for most of the game, but a last-minute try by Arizona tied the game.

“We played a really good game,” junior Ryan McCloud said. “We dominated the whole thing and definitely should have won.”

This weekend marked the last regular season games for the Rams and as they look ahead to playoffs Oct. 26-27.

-Edited by Jon Ackerman and Josh Hardin