Authors: Helyna Bledsoe

Monday afternoon, Sen. Wayne Allard witnessed firsthand the benefits of the Mason Street Transportation Corridor Project and the CSU Transit Center.

Planning for the CSU Transit Center began in 1997 and was designed to be a part of the MSTC. The MSTC is a five-mile bus system centered along the Burlington Northern-Santa Fe Railway tracks which, when finished, will run from Cherry Street to Harmony Road. Upon its completion, MSTC will be a way for pedestrians, bicyclists and buses to move more efficiently throughout Fort Collins.

Aside from creating a direct route for bicyclists, the MSTC will also decrease the average time of a passenger bus ride.

“Thirty-six hundred (CSU) students use the transit system each day,” said Tom Fraiser, general manager of transportation for the city of Fort Collins. “It takes about 37 minutes to get from Front Range Community College to downtown Fort Collins. With the corridor, it could take 20 minutes. We are dedicated to BRT, Bus Rapid Transit.”

Plans for a park and ride are also in affect near the Vet school. “It would take 7 to 10 minutes to get from the Vet school to the CSU campus,” Fraiser said. This might ease some parking problems on campus.

The MTSC will link major destinations and hopefully relieve some traffic on College Avenue, stated the MSTC executive summary. The interconnected street network throughout the MSTC corridor will disperse traffic and ease walking to houses, stores, parks and workplaces.

“MSTC is the most visionary project we’re working on for transportation. The CSU Transit Center is an important middle part of the corridor,” said Ron Phillips, transportation director for the city.

The dedication of the CSU Transit Center, located adjacent to the Lory Student Center, will be held on Oct. 30.

-Edited by Shandra Jordan, Colleen Buhrer and Becky Waddingham