Authors: Cara Mason

Students with dedication and respect shaved their heads to pay tribute to cancer fighters and survivors Friday afternoon in the Plaza.

About 20 CSU students took part in Bald for Bucks for Cancer by going hairless. Many other students showed their admiration towards cancer patients by raising and donating money.

Janine Rinker, with shoulder-length hair, took the plunge to shave her whole head.

“I know a lot of people who have been affected by cancer and by shaving my head I am able to show tribute to these strong individuals,” said Rinker a senior microbiology major.

Throughout the past month many students have been raising money in multiple ways in order to help University of Colorado at Denver with their cancer research efforts. CSU students raised a total of $1,500 and donations are still being collected.

Amos England helped organize the event and also shaved his own head.

“There is a whole world on top of my head that I didn’t feel before. It now feels some much windier,” England said while all his hair was falling to the ground.

Throughout the entire event, England spoke on a microphone making people aware of these fundraising efforts and suggesting ways for students to “show support for cancer patients” by donating money or shaving their heads.

“I can’t imagine what it would be like to not be able to choose if you are bald or not,” said Rob Riss a senior information systems major. “It would be a hard thing to deal with and I am showing my support by shaving my own head.”

Francis Southwick also helped organize Bald for Bucks for Cancer. “I want to give cancer patients the credit for this program. If it wasn’t for them and their courage we wouldn’t have this event,” she said.

For more information on where to donate money for CU Denver’s cancer research email Francis Southwick at frances.southwick@colostate.edu.

-Edited by Colleen Buhrer and Shandra Jordan and Becky Waddingham