Letter to the Editor

To the Editor:

Vincent, just read your column (Oct. 18, 2002) about my brother Mark in the Collegian. I thought it was a very well-written article in that you did take in to consideration that we are regular teenagers, whose dad just happens to hold a highly elected office.

It is human nature to make mistakes, and that’s what my brother did. I was extremely mad at the press last week because I always believed that media was supposed to be a fair channel of communication, but in my brother’s case and in mine a few years back, that was not so. They always report on the bad that the governor’s children take part in, never anything else.

I appreciate you mentioning some of my brother’s achievements, unlike other papers and TV stations last week. This being in the media not only affects us kids, but ultimately reflects on my parents being bad parents. People who are not in the public eye have no idea how difficult it is to feel like we are constantly being watched.

Thank you again for reporting on the incident in such an appropriate way, and understanding we, too, get in to trouble from time to time.

Monica Owens

Sophomore, psychology

To the Editor:

I want to express my concern over the “Our View” in Friday’s paper. One statement read, “being gay is as much a part of someone’s personality as race is.” This is one of the most absurd statements I’ve read in the Collegian in a long time.

Skin color is not a choice; I think reasonable individuals can agree on that. But your skin color is not a determination of your personality. If it were, this only would say that those “dark people” would be thugs, criminals, and other unruly types. That sort of statement is repugnant, and as a society we’ve come to dismiss such statements as unwarranted and wrong.

In contrast, to say that sexual orientation is not a choice is just as degrading. Essentially, the Collegian is asking individuals to pity those who have made the decision to be gay. I don’t pity a choice, because a choice is something that should be stood for. I choose to act the way I do, and I defend my actions. Sexual orientation is a choice, and one I stand up for, either way. Hetero- or homosexual, the choice lies in the individual.

Either way you look at the statement, the Collegian muffed it. The statement was not well thought out, and plays on assumptions that should be ignored. Racial minorities don’t have distinct personalities simply because their in the racial minority, and to say that homosexual and heterosexual individuals are genetically predisposed to their sexuality, as if it were a condition, is simply ignorant.

Robert Lee

Senior

Political Science