Authors: Laura Kath

Next week, the student group Peer Advocacy Leaders and Hartshorn Health Clinic will combine forces to endorse national Alcohol Awareness Week through various types of programming.

This is the first year the organization of Alcohol Awareness Week has been a joint effort. In years past, Pam McCracken, the director of University Health Services at Hartshorn, was in charge of putting on the events, and PAL would volunteer for a few events.

The week is a national week and many campuses have some kind of alcohol education, said Marie Finley the advisor and graduate student in affairs and higher education

“PAL wants to get the word out on safe sex, no drugs and drinking responsibly,” said Lauren Simms, the president of PAL and a junior double major in psychology and criminal justice. “We want students to know how dangerous drinking and driving can be. We want to educate students on alcohol poisoning and the other negative affects of drinking.”

On Monday there will be two speakers who had experiences with the effects of alcohol abuse. They will be speaking in the Corbett dining center between 6:30 and 8 p.m.

The two speakers are Brad Tajillo, who lost a son because of a drunk driver, and Sally Webster, who lost a son to alcohol poisoning.

On Wednesday there will be Shocktoberfest in the Durrell center, starting at 6 p.m. Shocktoberfest has many different booths and activities that relate to drugs and alcohol. Programming Activity Council, or PAC, is hosting Shocktoberfest and PAL has a booth in the event.

PAL will provide students the chance to wear Fatal Vision goggles, which simulate drunkenness, while the students navigate through a special course on foot. Students will have a chance to sample the special goggles on the Lory Plaza from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. both Monday and Thursday.

PAL will be at the plaza all week handing out Dum-Dums, with facts taped to the suckers.

On Thursday and Friday there will be a car that was wrecked in a drunk driving accident out in the Plaza.

“We try to not to focus on alcohol education and awareness just between Oct. 21-25, but we try focus to focus on educating all year long,” McCracken said.

-Edited by Colleen Buhrer, Shandra Jordan and Becky Waddingham