Authors: the Collegian Editorial Board

In Thursday’s paper, you may have noticed we ran an ad from the group “Parents and Friends of Ex-Gays and Gays.”

We feel the ad may have caused a bit of confusion among a few of you and we feel it is our duty to explain where the ad came from and why it was printed.

Our advertising policy allows for the running of ads of this kind, meaning we are open to printing many paid messages we may not agree with as an editorial staff. Like it or not, this newspaper is a business that would not survive without advertising.

We feel this ad is a slap in the face toward gays, lesbians, bisexual and transgendered individuals. The assertion in the ad is that being gay is a choice. We feel it is not a choice and that being gay is a much a part of someone’s personality as race is.

The evidence whether being gay is a choice or not is still not decisively known, however, but the fact remains that many people have committed suicide as a result of fear of being gay in this society.

Plus, who would choose to be gay and face the prejudice and hardships many people who are gay face simply for their sexual orientation.

Furthermore, for this group to say they can help “change” someone’s sexuality is downright cruel and only promotes stigmas and prejudice toward homosexuals.

We, as a newspaper, are not second-guessing whether we should have run the ad – we ran it again today and would probably run it again in the future. The purpose of today’s Our View is to announce that the editorial staff does not endorse the messages in these ads and to clarify that we have a fairly liberal policy toward what we allow in the ads we run.