Authors: Colleen Buhrer

CSU’s research on vector-borne viruses yielded grant money from the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease of the National Institutes of Health awarded $18 million over seven years to CSU’s Arthropod-borne Infectious Disease Laboratory and the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Texas.

The money was given to universities for research in the Emerging Virus Disease Unit. This is a combination of two multi-disciplinary research teams, which explore questions surrounding potentially deadly viruses.

Vector-borne, or arthropod borne -viruses include the West Nile Virus, dengue fever, hantavirus and some encephalitis viruses.

“AIDL research is developing new ways to predict and prevent infection,” said Barry Beaty, university distinguished professor and former head of the AIDL at CSU.

The CDC also awarded the AIDL $250,000 per year for the next five years as part of a Fellowship Training Program grant. The money will be used to train graduate students in medical entomology, arbovirology, microbiology and vector borne viruses.

“There is a real need for good students who will become good scientists and hopefully we are training some of them,” Beaty said.

AIDL often collaborates with the CDC, on the CSU Foothills Campus, about research, Beaty said.

“We collaborate a lot, a number of graduate students will be doing part of the training at the CDC,” he said. “It is an extraordinary learning experience.”

Beaty says that the grants were giving on the basis of the strong expertise and facilities at CSU.

“AIDL has a long history of research on vector-borne viruses,” he said.

-Edited by Shandra Jordan and Ben Koerselman