Authors: Laura Kath

No one, including students over 21, may drink alcohol in CSU’s residence halls, said Anne Hudgens, vice president for Student Affairs and executive director.

The new policy is a change from last year, when students over 21 could drink in the residence halls.

“As someone who is over 21, it is inconvenient, but for assuring student safety and consistency, the new policy is good,” said Adam Beaver, a student studying student affairs and higher education.

It was found that residents over 21 were getting a lot of pressure from residents under 21 to buy alcohol for them. It was hard to keep who could and could not legally drink straight. People working in the residence halls had to ID people to check to see if they were legally able to drink or not, Hudgens said.

If a student is found to be in violation of the residence hall policy regarding drugs or alcohol, they will have to talk to residence life staff.

As a freshman, one is required to live on campus. This means if a freshman is found to be in violation of the alcohol policy too many times, that person may be asked to leave the residence halls, and thus would be unable to attend CSU. Even if they are not a freshman, they could still be asked to leave.

“People who are stupid enough to drink a lot in the dorms should get help and go through the programs,” said Christine Cage, a freshman business major.

One such program offered at CSU in The Drugs, Alcohol and You, or DAY, program. The program consists of four levels.

DAY one is education, where someone learns more about alcohol and drugs.

DAY two is an individual assessment, a one-on-one meeting where students work with a counselor to figure out if they have an addiction or if they are developing an addiction. There are several factors in developing an addiction such as a student’s history, their family’s history, whether they have ever experienced blackouts before and whether their grades are dropping.

The student then develops strategies to create an individual plan to stay safe and stay out of difficulties.

DAY three is a group experience to help someone stay on course and to be held accountable. A student goes through DAY three when there is a lot of concern for their health and safety. There is a support network to help someone stop or cut back on drinking or using.

DAY four is a treatment contract, or a diversion program. Students are not dismissed from school but must get treatment before returning to classes. Someone has to have significant trouble with drugs and/or alcohol before they are admitted into DAY four.

Before CSU had the DAY program, a student might have been dismissed and sent to get treatment before having the possibility of being allowed to return.

“People have been extremely grateful for the program and for the second chance at school. Often times, they need some help realizing where they are headed,” Hudgens said. “A major question asked is, ‘Are you doing as well in school as you had hoped?’ Usually the answer is no.”

-Edited by Colleen Buhrer, Shandra Jordan and Ben Koerselman