CSU rugby pummels Buffs

Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU rugby team played its best game of the season on Sunday as they conquered Colorado 31-20.

The Rams came out strong and played aggressively in the first half, scoring 21 points and holding the Buffaloes to only three. CU came back in the second half, but could not overcome the mighty Rams.

Freshman wing Shawn Kelly received the Player of the Match award with his quick feet and agility leaving the Buffs in the dust and scoring 15 points.

“We had a great first half and then had a mental lapse and slowed down in the second half,” senior scrumhalf Tim Guerra said. “It was a great game and we love beating CU.”

The B-side also crushed CU five tries to one. The game was set up a little different than usual – three quarters instead of two halves – to incorporate B and C team players. The Rams came out a little slow letting CU score the first try, but then went on a roll.

“We were losing and then we just came out of nowhere and killed them,” said junior Ryan McCloud.

The University of Arizona will be traveling to CSU for one of the biggest games of the season Sunday night. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. on the rugby pitch at the athletic fields across from the Student Recreation Center.

Hockey team skates to two conference wins

The CSU hockey team won both of its games this weekend against conference rivals Weber State and Utah State. On Friday night, the Rams beat conference-favorite Weber State 4-2. Then on Saturday, they out-played Utah State, winning 4-3.

After coming out even against Iowa State two weekends ago, CSU’s record now stands at 3-1 against collegiate teams. The team played its best games yet and was successful in all aspects of the game.

“We really came together as a team and were more unified than when we played Iowa State,” head coach Brian Sutton said. “The offense did great and produced the goals we needed, and the defense did just as great. We really shut them down in the neutral zone.”

While the Rams keep adding victories, they are highly anticipating the new rankings that they hope to be on top of. Weber State should drop in the rankings and CSU should advance, but they must keep winning its conference games.

They will be tested again this weekend as they face a very talented University of Denver team. Saturday night’s game will be at Edora Pool and Ice Center at 7:45 p.m. and Sunday’s game will be in Denver.

Cycling Team good to go for nationals

All of the CSU cycling team’s hard work and training are on the line this weekend as they are set to race in the National Collegiate Cycling Association National Championship in Angelfire, N.M.

In the A bracket, CSU will send four cross-country racers: Nick Ranno, Justin Makka, Steve Ladd and Adam Stepanovic. It will also send four downhill cyclists: Nate Adams, Pete Hutson, Ken deAlmeida and Greg Smith.

Jenny Ladd and Kelly Mogab will be representing the Rams as the only female racers. There will also be a number of racers entering in the B bracket.

Ranno has finished exceptionally well in all of his races so far this year and hopes to do well again.

“This is my first year racing in a race like this one, so I’ll just try to finish the best I can and hope the race goes well,” Ranno said. “There is a lot of really good competition so we’ll just see how it goes.”

CSU has worked really hard to prepare for nationals this year and has had a lot of help getting as far as they have. Junior Nathanael Ksiazkiewicz said the team appreciates the support from CSU club sports, Lee’s Cyclery, GU, GU20, Rudy Project and the Ultimate Support Systems.

The races will start on Friday and go though Sunday. Selected events will be televised on Fox.

– Edited by Jon Ackerman and Josh Hardin