Authors: Nicole Davis

Throughout their college experience, students may expect to face any number of problems from deciding the best way to write a research paper to dealing with housing issues. There are, however, a variety of resources available to help students, as long as they know where to look.

Located across campus are several organizations that can help any full-fee paying student with a variety of academic needs at no cost.

The Eddy Computer-Assisted Writing Lab, located in Room 300 of Eddy Hall, offers full service computers with Internet access that can be used to print up to three copies of a research paper. The writing lab, which is the oldest of its kind in the country, can be used by students of any major, but cannot be used to print Internet research or electronic reserve.

“It’s a free place to print your papers,” said Shane Sheridan, a lab mentor. “If a student doesn’t have access to a computer this can be an invaluable resource to them.”

The CSU Writing Center is available to help students with the actual process of writing a paper. Located in the basement of Eddy Hall, room 6, the staff of the writing center will help with any stage in the writing process including starting, researching and learning how to proofread.

“Everyone can benefit from help in their writing,” said Heidi Scott, a writing center consultant. “It’s just having another pair of eyes look at your writing objectively.”

Students can come in at any time to have their papers reviewed, and Scott recommends this method. However, students can also send their papers to the online writing center, which offers the same services over the Internet with a return period of about three days.

Another resource, the Career Center helps students with life beyond research papers and grades by preparing them for their future jobs. Counselors help students decide a major, search for a career and connect with employers. They encourage students to come in as early in their college career as possible.

Located in Ammons Hall, the Career Center also has a large facility that offers a computer center and career resource library.

“The more prepared you are to do a job search the easier it will be to find a job, particularly right now in this hard economy,” said Anne Malen, director of the Career Center.

However, in order to achieve success academically students might need to deal with the stresses and difficulties of everyday life. Two organizations that help with this are the University Counseling Center and the Stress Management Program.

The University Counseling Center offers individual, group and family therapy sessions as well as 24 hour, seven days per week emergency assistance, and is located in the basement of Clark Building, room C36. For individual therapy, the first five sessions are free, with a $20 charge thereafter.

“These services are valuable to students as a way of helping them be as successful as they can be in their academic environment,” said Charles Davidshofer, director of the University Counseling Center.

Stress can also greatly affect academic success, and the Stress Management Program, a branch of the University Counseling Center, helps students identify and control the stressors in their life.

“Show me anyone that doesn’t have some degree of stress in their life,” said Scott C. Case, assistant director of the Stress Management Program.

Students must make an appointment for a stress management assessment at the counseling center. They then learn techniques to minimize their stressors such as breathing, muscle relaxation and time management.

“These are skills and techniques that not only can be applied to an immediate situation in their environment, but with practice can be used throughout their life,” Case said.

Other physical factors can greatly affect academics. Health Promotions Services, located in the basement of the Hartshorn Health Center helps students with issues such as nutrition and tobacco and alcohol use.

Students can attend meetings to help them quit smoking and using tobacco. They can also meet with a nutritionist for general nutrition information or help with eating disorders. All of this is available at no cost to full-fee paying students.

Student Legal Services, another resource, offers free legal services to students. Located in Room 182 of the Lory Student Center, lawyers help students with a variety of cases including housing issues, criminal misdemeanors, uncontested divorces and filing of wills. Appointments must be made in person.

“A lot of students don’t really have an idea of their legal rights and legal counsel is so expensive normally,” said Susan Bordewyk, staff assistant for Student Legal Services.

-Edited by Shandra Jordan, Colleen Buhrer and Ben Koerselman