Authors: Kyle Endres

Suzanne Gillespie thought that CSU needed a Campus Green Party, so she and a few others revived the formerly defunct group in order to educate people about their political affiliation.

“There is a college Republican student organization and a college Democrat student organization, so we felt that we wanted to be represented as well,” said Gillespie, a senior Spanish major. “You only really need a handful of people to get started.”

Restarting formerly defunct groups or forming new organizations has been an increasing trend during the fall semester. Thirty-four new or reformed groups have registered as student organizations this semester, making the total number of student organizations about 150, said Pam Sampson, assistant director for student involvement at the Campus Activities Center.

“I think it’s so fun when people have a pastime and they choose to organize a group of people to register a group and find other people on campus that enjoy that pastime as well,” Sampson said. “People meet, realize that CSU doesn’t have a certain type of group and decide to start one.”

The main benefits of registering a student organization are use of university facilities, funding opportunities from the Associated Students of CSU, leadership learning opportunities and discounted advertising in The Collegian, Sampson said. Additionally, campus involvement helps students get better grades, stay in school and provides networking opportunities, she said.

“What you like to do in your free time can also be a great life lesson,” Sampson said. “College isn’t always just about what goes on in the classroom.”

The criteria for starting a group include filling out a registration form, finding a faculty advisor, attending an officer orientation and membership of at least four people.

“(The registration process) was as easy as it could be and still be properly affiliated,” said Anthony Rock, president of the brand-new Disc Golf Club at CSU.

The Student Organizations Office gives out a book called “The Source,” to help new clubs with operational guidance. This book provides information on club constitutions, funding options and procedures, publicity resources and campus phone numbers.

“This year it seems like groups are really organized,” Sampson said. “We’re on track right now to have 300 or more groups by the end of the academic year, which is great.”

-Edited by Shandra Jordan, Colleen Buhrer and Ben Koerselman