Letter to the Editor

To the Editor:

Where are the students? I was a student twice (undergraduate engineering, later an MBA) and admit that the fraternity, sports, and girls occupied my thoughts more than national issues.

Now, with a better perspective on issues, I am appalled that we may go to war with Iraq. As an engineer, I think of Iraq as a sovereign nation and a member of the United Nations. There are many UN resolutions that are ignored by other sovereign nations.

It is questionable that Iraq required inspectors to leave their country as alleged. Iraq has delivery systems with a maximum range of only 400 miles. The underlying reasons for a US invasion of Iraq do not make sense.

As a businessperson, I view our government as an organization. The Secretary of Defense is responsible for raising, equipping and training the military. When the Secretary of Defense is sent to act as the Secretary of State we are in trouble. The last time that happened Mr. McNamara was the Secretary of Defense. In his book he admitted he lied to support and further the war in Vietnam.

Watch out when politicians say we need to support our troops. They may be making a marketing statement that opposition is unpatriotic, and more money and troops are needed. As a husband and father my thoughts are more specific and humanitarian. In 1961 politicians sent me to Laos to fight John Kennedy’s secret war. That kind of experience leaves one with indelible memories. I recall a soldier shot so full of holes that it was inexplicable that his body would continue a frenzied but losing fight to stay alive.

In 1968 politicians sent me to fight in Vietnam. One experience was rushing to the assistance of our forces caught in an ambush. I walked through the site looking for life. A soldier lay on his back looking at me. I walked over to him and then realized the top of his head had been sheared off.

However incredible it may seem, I thought of a watermelon with the top sliced off. There was a white line around the edge, and the center was a grayish watermelon. I won’t forget that image, and I cannot imagine how it happened. Those wars were promoted as noble and patriotic by our politicians.

In the end the military was the scapegoat and most of the politicians escaped blame for those terrible misadventures. We must remember that wars are the equivalent of meat grinders. Ken and Barbie do not fight our wars on television. We do not have a draft but we could if our politicians need more bodies for the meat grinder. Iraq will be your war, not mine. I think you should make your voices heard.

Dick Thomas

Former Professor of Military Science, and administrator at CSU

University.

To the Editor:

As an ally of the GLBT community and a supporter of “Jeans Day,” I would like the opportunity to respond to Hannah Lewis’ and to others who may be feeling the same way.

Hannah, “tricking” people into wearing jeans on Friday is not the goal. “Jeans Day” is a program that allows people to show support or involvement with the GLBT community without spending a lot of money on ribbons or buttons. Like you mentioned in your letter, almost everyone has jeans, so to show support for this community one does not have to go out and spend money. There are also several forms of advertisements we hope will spread the word.

Part of the goal of “Jeans Day” is to provide a simple way for people to show their support or involvement. I hope it will also spark some thought on campus. If someone does wear jeans that day without the intent of supporting the GLBT community and is uncomfortable doing so, maybe it will make that person think about why they are uncomfortable. This is similar to how people of the GLBT community might feel uncomfortable expressing part of who they are in a society that often condemns members of the GLBT community.

The difference is the person wearing jeans has the option of running home and changing. People who are GLBT do not have that option. They cannot change their sexual orientation. Instead, they are often subjected to hate and fear simply because of who they are.

My hope is that people who are part of the GLBT community will feel welcomed and supported by “Jeans Day.” In the midst of protests filled with violent images and violent words, I hope the CSU community can show support and love for a group that is often the target of hatred, discrimination, and fear.

Katie Gallogly

English

Senior

Authors: Ben Koerselman

To the Editor:

Homecoming is a time to have fun and celebrate being part of the Colorado State University community. As students of CSU, and citizens of Fort Collins, it is always important that, while we are having fun, we behave in an appropriate manner.

It is important to understand, that not only do we have expectations and standards to follow as adults, there are state laws that have been created in reaction to a few students’ behavior in the past– students who did not choose to behave appropriately.

The Colorado General Assembly passed legislation last year that imposes restrictive consequences on any student participating in a “riot.” The bill defines riot as five (or more) people causing damage to property or injury to any person. According to House Bill 02-1173, “a student who is enrolled in a state-supported institution of higher education and who is convicted of a riot offense shall be immediately suspended from the institution for a period of 12 months.” The conviction is a Class 5 Felony.

We know that CSU students do not have to break laws to celebrate their victories or to express their opinions. Have fun this weekend! Enjoy all the homecoming activities to the fullest, but be aware of the law, and be aware of your, and your friends’ actions.

Most importantly, Go Rams!

Ryan E. Miccio

ASCSU Assistant Director of Student Empowerment