Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU women’s golf team ended up in fourth place after playing 36 holes on Monday and Tuesday in the Heather Farr Memorial Tournament.

In a field of 16, the Rams out-shot 12 other teams but finished behind the Denver, Nevada and Colorado. DU took the title by moving from fifth place to first in the final round of play.

CSU coach Angie Hopkins wished the team could have won but was pleased with some aspects of the tournament.

“The tournament went OK. We wanted to win, but there definitely were some positive things that happened,” Hopkins said. “Our new girls had some great rounds of golf.”

Sophomore Kristen Campos finished with the lowest score for the Rams with a five over par 149 and tied for eighth place individually. Freshman Kim Bratten strongly contributed to CSU’s score in her first appearance with the team by shooting three over par on Monday.

Junior Dawna Virdell, also playing as a Ram for the first time, also had an excellent final round of golf when she shot par.

Sophomore Lynette Duran played phenomenally on Monday by shooting one-under and tying for first. She dropped a few spots on Tuesday and wound up tying for eighth.

The Rams will return to action Nov. 11-13 in the Las Vegas Founders

Collegiate Tournament.

“I am really excited for the Las Vegas Tournament,” Hopkins said. “We have a few weeks off to improve our game and get a lot of practice in.”

Men’s golf finishes ninth at Pepperdine Club Glove

The men’s golf team moved up two spaces in the final round of the

Pepperdine Club Glove Intercollegiate Tournament to take ninth place. It had a very strong last round posting a 297.

California-Irvine took the team title in the 12-team, 56-hole tournament. Pepperdine was in lead after one day of play, but California overcame a four-shot deficit in the final round to come out with the victory.

Junior Nolan Martin shined for the Rams shooting a 218 and trying for ninth. On Monday he hit two-under and was tied for fifth. Then on Tuesday he had another great round, carding a three under 69.

Juniors Martin Laird and Brett Tobyne added to CSU’s total by getting 229s and trying for 35th. Senior Geoff Nuwash and sophomore John Hayes also chipped in and each shot 236.

Top individual honors went to Jeff Coburn of Califronia-Irvine carding a 211 and defeating New Mexico’s Jae Choi in a playoff.

CSU will not have much of a break as it heads back to California for the

Fresno State-Lexus Classic Oct. 11-12. The 17-team tournament will be held at the San Joaquin Country Club. Last year, host Fresno State dominated the tournament and finished with a commanding 40-stoke lead over Stanford.

This tournament along with the San Diego State Invitational Oct. 21-22 and the Stanford-Nelson Invitational Oct. 25-27 will be the last tournaments of the spring season for the Rams. The team resumes play again in late February when it will travel to Louisiana.

-Edited by Jon Ackerman and Josh Hardin