Authors: Kyle Endres

The Homecoming Carnival came to the Lory Student Center Plaza Wednesday to celebrate CSU’s Homecoming week.

Many different campus groups organized the carnival as the kickoff to CSU Homecoming festivities, said Cord Brundage, director of Campus Outreach for Associated Students of CSU.

“We wanted to bring back a sense of unity, a sense of pride and a sense of spirit,” Brundage said. “A carnival is a great way to celebrate all the tradition we have.”

The carnival had interactive activities as well as musical and comedic entertainment. Students threw axes at targets with the CSU Logging Sports Team, went pumpkin bowling with the Student Alumni Connection, climbed a rock-climbing wall and rode the Orbitron, a ride that spins in circles.

“I think we’re getting a lot of recruitment,” said Jesse Boyd, president of the Logging Sports Team. “It’s a lot of publicity for sure.”

Musical entertainers included Brandon Henderson, a solo guitar performer, Phantasia, a multi-cultural dance team, Emergency Project, a local band, and a salsa-dancing duo from the Jive Cats. Ben Michaels performed comedy and the Fort Collins Police Services’ K-9 unit did a demonstration. Several organizations also set up tables to encourage interest in their group.

“(The carnival is) a good idea because it promotes school spirit and tradition,” said junior Jill Vidal, a psychology major. “I went to CU for two years and they never did anything like this.”

Michaela Luna, coordinator for Phantasia, enjoyed the opportunity to show people her group and its message.

“I think (the carnival) gives us a good chance to educate people about multiculturalism,” Luna said. “I believe there’s a lot of people who don’t know what’s out there.”

-Edited by Shandra Jordan and Ben Koerselman