Authors: Shandra Jordan

Brent Allen Gaiser, a transfer student at CSU, died Monday on a flight back to Colorado after a visit home to Indiana.

Initial cause of death is listed as an acute asthma attack. He died in his sleep on the plane.

Gaiser, 20, was living out his dream by attending CSU, said Brian Lundin, Gaiser’s father.

“He’d never been to Colorado before (he applied to CSU) but he dreamed of living and going to school in Colorado,” Lundin said.

Gaiser had a hard time with high school, Lundin said, so he attended Vincennes University for a year before applying to CSU.

At the Vincennes orientation, they told a story about a boy who, like Gaiser, had struggled in high school but came to college and flourished, Lundin said.

Gaiser made the Dean’s List both semesters at Vincennes.

When he came out to visit CSU in May, he and his mother and girlfriend stayed four extra days and toured the area.

“He fell in love with the school,” Lundin said.

Lundin graduated from Tipton High School in 2001. He was a member of 4-H for nine years, a baseball fan and a snowboarder.

Survivors in addition to his stepfather include his mother, Cindy Lundin, his stepmother, Sandra Gaiser, his father, Mark Gaiser, and five siblings.

Memorial services will be held at 10 a.m. Friday at Young-Nichols Funeral Home, 216 W. Jefferson Street, Tipton, Ind. Donations in Gaiser’s memory may be sent to the American Lung Association.

“Brent was really living out his dream,” Lundin said.

-Edited by Ben Koerselman and Andrew Whelan