Authors: Ben Koerselman

By now, most people have probably heard of the stupid idea some folks have proposed to enforce credit caps by charging students in-state tuition if they exceed such caps. I’m going to write about it some more.

Why? Because I can, that’s why. Yes, I’m bitter – bitter that our state is run by a rampant horde of idiots that have to compete with common foot fungi on the scale of intelligence. Scratch that. Foot fungi are seventeen times more intelligent than anyone who supports this idea and much more fun to be around. “Governor’s Blue Ribbon Panel,” indeed. They’ll give a ribbon to anyone these days. Should this idea ever get off the ground, I say these folks should earn a blue ribbon in incompetency.

The scoop is that the state wants to “save” money. They had plenty of money to squander when the economy was good but now that things look bad in the short term, they want to destroy higher education n the long term. They believe the best way to generate money is to force resident students who exceed 132 credits to pay out of state tuition, which is about four times more than in-state. Not only is this silly (there’s better ways to make money, like reducing the salaries of bureaucrats, for example), it’s also unrealistic. How so? Here’s some examples:

When I was an undergrad here, I felt the best thing to do was to get two majors in related subjects, a minor, and be in the University Honors Scholar program.

Despite the interconnectedness of my majors, my study plan alone would have far exceeded 132 credits. Add on top of that the University Honors Scholar program requires many subjects to be completed outside of the typical courses required by other students. So, had I been an undergrad under the proposed plan, in order to graduate with the education I desired, I would have had to pay at least $6,000 more.

This in spite of the fact I had been a resident of this state all my life, in spite of the fact my parents paid tax money for state education all my life and I paid state taxes all my adult life. Some “honor,” eh? Add on top of this the possibility that graduate student credits might someday fall under similar plans, I’m still in danger.

Then there’s all the engineering folks I’ve even known at CSU, numbering about two dozen. Not one of them ever graduated under the 132 credits. Way to engineer some debt, huh? How about people going for that teaching certification? They better hope they make a lot of money as a teacher (HA!) because they are going to have to pay extra to become members of this most sacred tradition.

What if a freshman was a real “go getter” in high school and transfers in with loads of AP and college credit? The cost of diligence will be high as many of these credits will add to the credit cap. Then there’s those kooky kids who are open-option majors at the start of school.

Shame on them for not knowing what to do with the rest of their lives at the ripe old age of 18 – their indecision will cost them in 4 years. Take people who do something crazy like study the diverse fields of Computer Science and Anthropology (majors that don’t overlap at all) because they have the audacity of liking to learn. Too bad.

Colorado must need more money to buy things like blue ribbons and it’s the unemployed student who must suffer.

What should we do if the ideas of the Governor’s lackeys pass? Personally, I’d say go out of state, get residency somewhere else and attend school at a rival school out of spite. Colorado would in essence be saying it has no time for the best and the brightest (but it certainly has time for the richest), so they should go elsewhere. The alternative is to stay in Colorado and screw yourself out of the education you want/need because you will suffer under ridiculous financial strain.

Way to go, Governor’s Blue Ribbon Panel – you truly are the champions of Gov. Bill, the education governor.