Authors: Patrick Crossland

A man was shot and killed Sunday night by police after he showed what several witnesses believed to be a gun in his hand.

According to a release by Fort Collins Police Services, the man dropped off his vehicle off at 3:30 p.m. at Car Toys located at 2407 S. College Ave.

The man may have been involved in “fraudulent” activity and the possible theft of a car, said Lt. Karen Carlson of FCPS. So FCPS went to Car Toys and remained there until the suspect returned, at which point witnesses said he brandished a gun.

According to police, the suspect returned to Car Toys at 7:00 p.m. in a different vehicle, accompanied by a by a female. The details remain unclear but witnesses have told FCPS that the suspect had a gun in his hand at the time police fired upon him.

At least one bullet struck the suspect, who was then transported to Poudre Valley Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The female who accompanied the suspect remained uninjured and her relation to the suspect has not been disclosed by FCPS.

No officers were injured during the shooting and an investigation of the fraudulent activity and shooting are underway.

FCPS is asking anyone who witnessed any portion of the shooting to call Det. Kim Cochran at 224-6090.

-Edited by Vince Blaser and Becky Waddingham