Authors: Cara Mason

Saturday night was filled with rhythm, beat and talent when groups of non-traditional Greeks hit the stage in the Lory Student Center Theater.

The Black Student Alliance hosted the seventh annual Hip Hop Explosion Saturday. Tickets cost $5 and sold out. The proceeds from the ticket sales helped pay the way for African American students to go to a Big 12 conference.

“The goal of Hip Hop Explosion is to allow these non-traditional fraternities and sororities to get recognized,” said Shahada Abdal Rahman, vice president of BSA.

Non-traditional Greek organizations are targeted towards specific ethnic backgrounds.

“We want to be known!” said Amber Johnson, a senior majoring in information systems and member of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority.

Throughout the performance, high-pitched yells and hollers echoed in the auditorium. Each fraternity and sorority chanted to proudly represent their organization.

Four sororities and three fraternities preformed on the night of the event: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., Sigma Lambda Gamma Sorority, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority Inc., Kappa Alpha Si fraternity, Omega Si Phi fraternity, and Phi Beta Sigma fraternity.

Each sorority and fraternity competed against each other in a stepping contest, all striving to win the prize of two hundred dollars.

Kappa Alpha Si was one of the fraternities that preformed in the event.

“The Kappa’s are very excited to be a part of this event and we want our performance to be memorable to the audience,” said Deonte Waldrop, a sophomore pre-technical journalism student and member of Kappa Alpha Si.

Audience members agreed Waldrop’s goal was achieved.

“The show was entertaining, sensational, and hot,” said Belle Okocha, a freshman open option student.

At the end the show the winners were announced with Alpha Kappa Alpha taking first for the sororities and Phi Beta Sigma taken first for the fraternities.

“This performance was jumping,” said Javad Fields, a sophomore speech communication major. “It was a great thing for the community.”