Authors: Adrienne Hoenig

Fort Collins Police Services and CSU’s Office of Student Affairs are teaming up to cut back on noise violations.

The FCPS and CSU Police Department often share information about students who violate laws off campus, said Rita Davis, spokesperson for FCPS. This includes reports of noise violations and other criminal activity.

Lance Smith, a junior psychology major, was surprised to receive a letter from CSU concerning a noise violation he had gotten from the city a week earlier. Smith lives off campus and received a violation on Sept. 1 from FCPS for “unreasonable noise.”

About a week later, a letter arrived from CSU’s Office for Student Affairs. They sent Smith a faxed copy of his ticket along with a letter explaining ways to avoid future problems.

Smith was upset that CSU had received information about him while he was off campus. “They didn’t even give me a copy of the incident report,” he said. “I live in a house that’s not at all affiliated with the university. The university is an academic institution. What I do outside of that doesn’t have anything to do with CSU.”

Lisa Miller, assistant director of conflict resolution and student conduct services, said that students at CSU are held responsible for violations against the city as well as the university.

“Students coming to CSU agree to abide by 13 rules, a code of conduct,” Miller said. “One of these 13 rules is to abide by city ordinances.”

This code of conduct, known as Student Rights and Responsibilities, states that, “Colorado State University expects students to maintain standards of personal integrity that are in harmony with the educational goals of the institution; to observe national, state and local laws, and University regulations; and to respect the rights, privileges and property of other people.”

By sending letters out to students who violate city ordinances off-campus, Miller hopes to alleviate students of similar problems in the future.

“We’re trying to help them strategize to not have more difficulties,” Miller said.

Ginny Sawyer, neighborhood administrator for the city of Fort Collins, is also looking to help students overcome problems within their neighborhoods. Sawyer is heading up a program called Celebration of Neighborhoods, an event is designed to integrate students and families into a neighborhood living environment.

“We bring neighborhoods together to share strategies and ideas,” Sawyer said. “Whether there are noise issues, traffic issues, a problem house, there’s always a wide variety of things.”

Celebration of Neighborhoods will take place from 6-9 p.m. today in the Lory Student Center Ballroom. It is free to the public and refreshments and entertainment will be provided.

“It’s the largest indoor block party in Fort Collins,” Sawyer said. “We discuss good and bad things in neighborhoods – and we celebrate.”

-Edited by Shandra Jordan, Colleen Buhrer and Becky Waddingham