Letter to the Editor

To the Editor:

Regarding all the commentary about the Playboy’s November issue, ranking CSU as a top party school, and the alleged derogatory statements toward women (I say alleged as I have not read the issue myself), I just have one comment for all those offended.

What did you expect? It’s Playboy. The entire basis for the magazine is rather derogatory toward women. If the offending statements were in Newsweek or Time, then I can understand a few feathers being ruffled. But with this particular medium, does one really expect anything else?

Move on, please.

Shannon Baldwin

Junior

Journalism and Political Science

To the Editor:

I am writing in response to a letter on Monday titled, “Truth is the Reason.”

Mr. Johanson’s viewpoint of the Justice For All exhibit in the Lory Student Center plaza was that the horrible, and true, side of abortion was finally being displayed, and if it needed to be enlarged and grotesque, all the better to illustrate the cause.

Ethical “truths” are ALWAYS subjective. Many organizations, similar to Justice For All, would like us to believe that truth can be simplified to the extent of black and white, right and wrong, or good and bad.

Disregard to the expanse of gray area between extreme views causes a cleft in rationality, logic, and compromise. Mr. Johanson’s article attempted to further Justice For All’s righteous view points by stating “there’s no excuse for abortion, and you either approve of it or you hate it. There is no in between.”

His argument is ignorant to the views of many who are pro-choice. Pro-choice is not pro-abortion. It represents the rights of a woman to decide what occurs within her body. There are hundreds of conditions I could name that would warrant the need for options other than full-term pregnancy, and there are hundreds more that I haven’t even thought of yet.

Furthermore, Justice For All preaches a one-sided truth. Throughout history, women have been subjecting themselves to unimaginably painful horrors, most times resulting in death, to abort the unwanted zygote. When extraneous forces outside of a woman’s control result in pregnancy, or when her life is at risk due to natural or unnatural causes, must it be the woman who is constantly punished? There needs to be room for a choice.

Kristen Howard

Senior

Psychology

To The Editor:

This is in response to Maria Sanchez-Traynor’s September 30th article.

I strongly disagree that America should not be involved in other countries’ conflicts. What kind of a nation would we be if we just turned a deaf ear to other countries’ crises?

Ms. Sanchez-Traynor should talk to someone who fought in WWII, Korea, Vietnam or the Persian Gulf and ask them if they think they fought in vain or if their comrades died in vain or, if maybe, they fought and died defending freedom and democracy for everyone around the globe, not just Americans.

Ask my uncle, who fought in Vietnam and then in the Persian Gulf, whether many of his comrades were killed just so America could “baby-sit” the world.

Or my friend in the Air Force who might get shipped out any day now, if being away from his family and in dangerous situations constantly is just so America can solve a conflict it has “nothing to do with”.

What kind of world would we live in if everyone just worried about his or her own problems and no one helped anyone?

Ms. Sanchez-Traynor should remind her friends in Spain that many people around the world would be much worse off if it weren’t for Americans willing to risk our necks for their freedom.

Rachel Cormack

Junior

Design Merchandising