Authors: Joelle Milholm

As the summer comes to an end and winter slowly approaches, people can’t help but get excited about the upcoming ski season.

From Colorado natives to out-of-state students, no one travels to the awe-inspiring Rocky Mountains as much as they should to embrace one of the most peaceful and exhilarating sports around. There is a solution for those who want to travel to the high country more often, and not have to sell all your possessions to be able to get there and buy a lift ticket.

The solution for boarders and skiers is the CSU Ski Bum club. Any student can join to go on one trip or to go all out and ski all winter long.

There are two options for membership: a four-year membership for $65, or a one-year membership for $30. The ski bum season is full of discounted lift tickets and transportation for day trips and discounted lift tickets, transportation and lodging for overnight voyages. Members also receive amazing discounts at the club’s many sponsoring shops around town.

“If people don’t want to get a pass to one place, we offer a huge variety. You can meet a lot of people and go to a lot of different mountains,” senior co-president Kelly Post said.

Until the snow starts to fall, the ski bums stay active by going to skiing and snowboarding premiers at the Aggie and Sunset Theaters. They already met once for the SOS Benefit on Sept. 12 to watch a snowboarding video. The club will meet Oct. 12 and Oct. 23 to see movies before their first official trip up to Loveland on Nov. 10.

Oct. 12 will be one of the biggest events of the year as the Teton Gravity Research Prophecy premiers at the Sunset Theater. Tickets are only $7 and will probably feature a band before the film.

“A lot of sponsors come to the premiers and promote their products, and you can come and get free stuff,” said senior club officer Matt Logan.

One of the biggest trips planned for this year will be to Jackson Hole, Wyo., in January for the Snowriders Fest. For just $370, club members will get lift tickets, transportation and lodging.

“It will be a lot of fun and a lot of other schools will go,” Logan said. “When you join you are getting great discounts and you get to hang out with fun people.”

This year is expected to be one of the best years yet because there are already 200 members, making it the biggest club sports program at CSU. And they are always looking for more. Many improvements have also been made.

“There is better organization, more trips and better trips this year,” freshman snowboarder Ted Kingsley said. “So far it has been awesome.”

Kingsley has already worked very hard for the club putting together flyers, hanging up banners and organizing this year’s events.

Other trips include local ventures to Copper and Eldora, a trip to Crested Butte Feb. 7-9 and a trip to Alta/Snowbird in Utah for spring break.

“We are going to follow the snow this year. You meet a lot of people and it is a good time,” said junior co-president Dan Sholl. “Please stop by our office and see what’s going on.”

Students can stop by the office in the basement of the Lori Student Center Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Today they can buy Copper Mountain Ski Passes or find out information on about passes to other mountains.

The season will wrap up with a barbeque at Arapahoe Basin on May 3.

– Edited by Jon Ackerman and Josh Hardin