Authors: Amy Bergstrom

Students looking for something to do on a Friday night may not have to look any further then their own residence hall.

With the Southside Complex (Ingersoll and Edwards halls) putting on programs like “Friday Night Club” and Ellis Hall officials discussing other alternative programming, students have several options to choose from when staying on campus.

“It’s an opportunity for halls to take the bull by the horns and show kids that they can have fun without alcohol,” said Leila Menges, office manager of Ingersoll.

The resident advisers of Ingersoll and Edwards take turns putting on various programs, collectively called the Friday Night Club, providing alternatives to partying. These programs have included movie nights, swing dancing, and henna tattoos.

At Ellis Hall, a very different type of program recently had success. “Sex, Lies, and Chocolate,” which took place on Sept. 10, drew a crowd of around 80 people. This was an educational program providing students an opportunity to discuss issues surrounding sex, said Amelia Musgjerd, hall director for Ellis.

Musgjerd said that the BEN area, which includes Braiden, Ellis, and Newsom halls, is considering other programs similar to those at the Southside Complex, such as movie nights and pool tournaments.

The Programming Activities Council also provides nighttime activities for students at other times during the week.

“PAC is the major programming entity for the residence halls,” said Pam Mudd, president of PAC and a pre-med senior.

Every Tuesday night at 9 p.m., PAC shows a relatively new movie in the Durrell Center, Mudd said. Wednesday nights feature craft projects, such as the popular beta bowls. Finally, on Thursdays, PAC provides opportunities for cultural and social promotion, both on- and off-campus. These programs have included ice skating and miniature golfing.

Mudd says that while PAC receives its funding from the Department of Housing and Food Services, the activities are chosen and run by students.

The residence halls also offer other programs during the week for their residents, often aimed at stimulating student minds. For those eating lunch in Ingersoll, Ingy Caf/ chats will start on Oct. 3, in which various members of the administration eat lunch in Ingersoll and discuss issues with the students.

“These are people that students interact with but don’t have the ability to voice their concerns to,” Menges said. “It gives students the opportunity to talk to the people who make decisions.”

Programs at the residence halls aim to appeal to as many students as possible. From those looking for weekend activities to students hoping to take a break from studying during the week, students have several choices for on-campus amusement.

-Edited by Shandra Jordan and Becky Waddingham