Authors: Cara Mason

Engineering career day was not only geared towards attracting students to the engineering program but also towards highlighting the strengths of CSU as a whole.

“We try to push potential incoming freshmen to become a part of the engineering school at CSU,” said Brie Hodgeson, a work-study student in the associate deans office.

The CSU College of Engineering hosted a career day last Saturday, drawing about 250 students. Most were from Colorado but some came from the neighboring states. High school students, their parents and community members were all in attendance.

“This career day is a great way to come and see what the engineering program is all about,” said Stacey Coffman, administrative assistant for the associate deans office. Throughout the day, students could go on tours of the engineering laboratories, listen to lectures about each departmental program and participate in a panel discussion by CSU engineering students.

At a speech about a specific department, students learned about opportunities offered in each engineering field, potential careers, average salaries and possible locations engineers could work.

At the end of the day, seminars were held concerning scholarship possibilities, the financial aid program, and women and minorities in engineering.

“The women and minorities seminar was aimed at attracting more women and minorities to the engineering field,” Coffman said.

Overall the engineering career day was a success, Coffman said. It not only positively advertised the engineering program but also reinforced the great opportunities that CSU has to offer.

-Edited by Shandra Jordan, Colleen Buhrer and Becky Waddingham