Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU women’s golf team, currently ranked No. 40 in the nation, tees off today against some of the best golf teams in the country.

The 24th annual Comcast/Dick McGuire Invitational in Albuquerque, N.M., will feature Texas (No. 6), Pepperdine (No. 12) and Baylor (No. 24). Fellow Mountain West Conference teams include Brigham Young, New Mexico, UNLV, San Diego State and Wyoming.

Senior Mayumi Motoyama likes the way the season has gone so far.

“This year is going really well. We like our new coach a lot,” Motoyama said. “We kind of knew her from before, since she was at the University of New Mexico, and she has been great.”

Motoyama is also very encouraged going into the tournament, and has high hopes for the team.

“We hope to finish in the top seven or so. This tournament has some of the toughest competition that we will face all year,” Motoyama said.

The tournament will be played at New Mexico’s par-73, 6,069-yard championship golf course. There will be 18 holes played each day starting today and going through Saturday. A total of 19 teams will battle for the crown that the UNM took home last year.

CSU has had problems of letting down in the final rounds of tournaments this year. In the first tournament, the Rams were tied for first at the end of day one, but ended up taking second. Then, at last weeks Chip-N-Club Invitational, they had the lead going into the last day only to fall five spots and finish sixth.

Now the Rams know what they need to do to have a good tournament.

“Our goal is to finish strong,” sophomore Lynette Duran said. “In the last couple of tournaments we have slid in the last rounds, and we have to work on playing well consistently.”

One of CSU’s strengths is its unity and team camaraderie. This is a key component for a team to have, and could help the Rams on the way to a successful season according to Motoyama.

“We have a good positive attitude and we support each other,” she said. “On days when we play 36 holes, it can be a very long day and it is very important for us all to be there for each other.”

After the tournament the team will have a little more than a week before heading to California for the San Diego State Aztec Invitational Oct. 7-8.