Authors: Eric Patton

What do you get when you cross a ’60s-era groupie and twenty-something? I’ll tell you what you get. You get a 50-year-old that has been yearning for a life she was high throughout.

What better way to experience this longing for a past than to search up the woman who went around sleeping with rock stars with you? That is what Suzette, the main character of the “Banger Sisters,” decided to do when she found out age got hold of her too.

She tracks down her old partner in sexual immorality, Lavinia, and shows up on the doorstep of her million-dollar mansion. Along her way she comes across an older gentleman writer who is returning to kill his father, metaphorically speaking we later find out. He is an obsessive compulsive with a horrible phobia of anything that causes his world to get out of whack. But he is just another comic-less piece to this story.

Suzette, played by Goldie Hawn, is shocked to find Lavinia (played by Susan Sarandon) who is rather wealthy now, disregarding her entire past and now covering it up with the ‘perfect’ family.

Apparently, after kicking Suzette off her property, she goes through a small crisis of her own and realizes that she should not be casting her past away. So upon accepting her past she begins to search herself.

The next night, that is right I said the next night, Lavinia decides that she needs to cut off her hair, go out drinking and dancing, smoke some 20-year-old pot, stuff her 20-year-old body into a tight fitting leather outfit and then drop all of this on her unsuspecting family.

This brings a revolution of attitudes within her spoiled family and Lavinia then accepts her past as a major part of who she is, despite the fact that Frank Zappa named them after “banging” them.

If you can’t tell from the plotline, this story is flat and unappealing. There are two or three lines that made me laugh and rarely did I smile. To me, personally, watching some groupies go through a mid-life crisis reminiscing of the days when music was actually music is not an entertaining idea. I would much rather watch the groupies in a ’60s period film going around and experimenting with great rock bands like The Doors.

The acting, probably with the poor script, could not develop. From Academy Award winner Geoffrey Rush to my favorite from “Traffic,” Erika Christensen, the supporting cast failed to do any supporting at all. Although Rush was the funniest part of the film, his character was nothing shy of annoying. And the younger daughter of Lavinia, played by Eva Amurri, got inside my head and started screaming! If one small part of this film could be cut, it would be Amurri. This movie provides nothing worth spending any money on, it gets D -.

Suggestions with Goldie Hawn; “Everyone Says I Love You,” “Death Becomes Her,” “Housesitter,” “Bird on a Wire,” “Overboard,” “Foul Play,” “Seems Like Old Times,” and if you can ever get a chance, watch her in the old “Laugh-In” reruns.

Suggestions with Susan Sarandon; “Dead Man Walking,” “Cradle Will Rock,” “Stepmom,” “Lorenzo’s Oil,” “Bull Durham,” “Thelma and Louise,” “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.”

Suggestions with Geoffrey Rush; “Shine,” “The Tailor of Panama,” “Shakespeare in Love,” “Quills,” “Les Miserables,” “Elizabeth.”

And don’t miss Erika Christensen in “Traffic.”