Authors: Shandra Jordan

CSU’s freshman class is the largest in university history, with a 2.9 percent increase in enrollment.

The increase in freshman contributed to an overall increase of 3.3 percent in university enrollment. The number of student seeking degrees at CSU is now 24,735 students, according to numbers released Tuesday.

Additionally, the students are more diverse, with an increase in students considered ethnic minorities of 9.1 percent over last year. Overall, ethnic minorities make up 11.3 percent of CSU’s student body.

Increases come from both resident and non-resident students. In-state student enrollment is up 3.6 percent and non-resident students have increased by 1 percent. Overall, resident students account for 78 percent of the student body.

This year’s class matched last year’s class in terms of index score, which is based on standardized test scores and high school academic performance. The score for the last two years has been 110, the highest in university history.

CSU’s enrollment numbers also increased for graduate, transfer and international students.

Graduate student enrollment is up 5.5 percent and the number of transfer student increased by 3.5 percent. International student enrollment jumped from 912 to 920 students this year, despite government restriction on student visas, according to the release.

“Each year we are witnessing an increase in demand for a Colorado State University education from some of the state and nation’s top students,” said CSU President Albert C. Yates in a press release. “This trend reflects our outstanding faculty and a university wide commitment to maintaining Colorado State as one of the nation’s premier institutions of higher learning.”