Authors: Craig Bonnot

While students living in most residence halls at CSU have to use a key to enter most areas of their hall, residents in Corbett Hall are able to get to their rooms by using a new electrical device.

Beginning this year, students living in the residence halls have to use a key to access the living area where the individual rooms are located, said Dave McKelfresh, the director of residence life, housing and food service at CSU.

“This year there’s blocked access to the arcade (the front desk and cafeteria area),” he said. “So residents will use their key to access the living area.”

McKelfresh went on to say they are hoping that students will only have to use a key temporarily. The residence halls are moving towards a system in which students will be able to wave a small device, a “fob,” over an electrical scanner to open the doors within the residence halls. This system is already being used in Corbett Hall.

“Corbett is a look into the future of our entire residence hall system,” McKelfresh said.

Coree Newman, the complex coordinator for Corbett Hall, explained the way the fobs work. Like the other residence halls, the front doors of Corbett remain unlocked from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. so that students can visit the cafeteria and so deliveries can be made.

“After 7 p.m. the fob system comes into play,” Newman said.

Residence can use the fobs to open the front doors to Corbett. They are also used to open the doors that separate the arcade from the actual living area. The fob also unlocks the door to each individual floor in Corbett.

“The way it’s set up now is that any Corbett resident can get into any corridor,” Newman said.

The system is set up so that it can be changed to meet new problems that may arise in the future. For example, if, over time, there is a problem with students from one floor in Corbett harassing students from another floor, they can reprogram the fobs so that residents will only be able to access the specific floor they live on, Newman said.

Newman went on to say that so far this year they have had no problems like this system.

She says the fobs are much more convenient than having to use a key to access every area in the residence halls.

“It’s definitely a lot more user-friendly than a key would be,” she said, adding that the fobs open doors automatically when they are waved in front of the electrical box by the door. This, she said, is much easier then using a key, which can get stuck and become difficult to turn. The fobs also provide better security then a key.

“If someone loses their key, someone else might find it and they’d have a key to the building,” Newman said. With the fobs, if someone loses their keys, the residence hall staff can simply deactivate their fob so no one else can use it.

Some Corbett residents said they preferred using the fobs and thought they worked well.

“I like it just cause we have to use it so much around Corbett that it would be a pain to use a key every time,” said Katie Mortenson, a freshman life sciences major.

Other students agreed.

“I think it works out pretty good ’cause I haven’t noticed a lot of people from other residence halls,” said Kyle Mickelson, a freshman history major.

Despite the fobs’ success at Corbett, it is still unclear how soon fobs will be used in other residence halls.

“They’re still using Corbett as a test sight making sure all the kinks are worked out,” Newman said. “But everyone’s hoping it will be system-wide by next fall.”