Letter to the Editor

To the Editor:

I want to respond to Josh Hardin’s article, “Hippies leave more than just flowers,” that ran in the September 23rd edition. To Mr. Hardin: Being young has never been easy for any generation. Take some time to talk to your grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles about life when they were young. I’m sure you’ll end up with less of a chip on your shoulder about being young at this point and time in history.

I’m not saying that I wish starvation, war, or outhouses on any member of our generation or our country. I am saying that I wish “Generation X” would stop complaining about how bad we have it. When you start to think about how miserable you are because of problems that Mr. Hardin likes to blame our parents for, think about your indoor plumbing.

Think about the food you eat every day. Think about the opportunity you have to get such a great education at CSU.

Go out and vote. Be part of the solution instead of sitting at home whining about the problems. Work hard to achieve what you want, and don’t expect things to be handed to you. Be responsible about your sexuality. Uphold your own beliefs even if people around you disagree. Of course generations of the past have made mistakes. And let me tell you, we will too.

So will our children. It’s life. By the way, Mr. Hardin, if you respect and listen to older generations and let them get to know you, they won’t have a reason to call you spoiled and selfish unless you are, right?

Kelsey Hejl

Junior

Sports Medicine

To the Editor:

This summer’s drought and the resulting drop in reservoir levels across the state must be taken more seriously by CSU.

While walking home across campus last night and getting drenched yet again by sprinklers trained onto sidewalks, I began to wonder why CSU hasn’t taken more action in this matter. As an agricultural school and the academic and intellectual center of the Fort Collins community, CSU should be setting a positive, proactive example for water conservation. It is true that CSU uses untreated (raw) water for irrigation, but their frequent watering schedule still takes a vast amount of water from our supplies for nothing more than keeping huge expanses of grass not just alive, but green and thick.

I suggest that CSU continue to water and maintain the athletic fields, but let the rest of the lawns go dormant. Better yet, plan for the future and replace those sod expanses with drought-resistant alternatives. In these dry times, we should be less concerned with the vanity of a lush lawn and more concerned about working together as a community to conserve water.

Aaron Hoffman

Graduate Student

Exhibit will not be sponsored by CSU

To the Editor:

The Lory Student Center is advising the campus community and campus visitors that on Monday, Sept. 30 and Tuesday, Oct. 1, Justice for All, Students for Bio-Ethical Justice, will have a free speech photographic exhibit that will include very graphic anti-abortion photographs on the LSC Plaza.

This is not a CSU sponsored activity and the university takes no position regarding either the exhibit or its content. CSU is neither trying to censor or endorse the exhibit, but wants to be sure that community members and visitors are aware of its presence. Community members should take alternate routes if they wish to avoid the exhibit and its contents.

Michael Ellis

Executive Director

Lory Student Center