Authors: Melissa Pester

The Green Party candidate for attorney general in Colorado, Alison “Sunny” Maynard, will attend a forum put on by The Society for Natural Resource Policy tonight at 5 p.m.

David Lauer from Friends of the Poudre and David Freeman, a professor from CSU, will also attend the meeting.

SNRP, a new group on the CSU campus, has put together what they are calling their fall focus forums. With three planned, they will begin with a forum on water issues in northern Colorado.

“They have done a great job and have chosen great topics,” said Tony Cheng, the group’s adviser and CSU professor in forestry. “This is something driven by the students and that is why I anticipate it to work so well.”

The evening will begin with a reception in the Natural Resources building’s atrium, beginning 5 p.m. It will then move into room 113 in the same building.

“Water is an important issue here in northern Colorado,” Cheng said. “The forum might help attendance from the community.”

Students from the group have advertised for the forum throughout the local community, calling it “Water rights and the importance of water in sustaining Colorado’s people, wildlife and industries.”

They said they believe many students will attend because water has “become an important issue in northern Colorado.”

Maynard will appear on the November ballot for attorney general along with Ken Salazar, D-Denver, and current Attorney General Martha P. Allbright, R-Littleton. Maynard said Colorado needs someone who is outside the political mainstream to watch over the other parties.