Authors: Joelle Milholm

Taking sharp curves, flying by trees, dodging rocks and cruising down the beautiful terrain of Red Feather, Colo., the CSU cycling team had a nice weekend racing in the Beaver Meadows Mania Mountain Bike Race.

“We did great this weekend,” club president Sam Ceridon said. “The entire race was an extreme success. Everyone loved all three courses: downhill, cross country and short track.”

The Rams cleaned up in the downhill event with four racers in the top five of men’s C and three in the top 18 of men’s A. They also did well in cross country, with three in the final 25 in men’s A, three in the top 18 in B and cyclists taking first and second in C.

The women cyclists also had a great showing as three riders finished in the top 10 of women’s B cross country, including senior Kelly Mogab who won the race. In only her third week ever racing, she enjoyed the race this weekend.

“The race went pretty good,” Mogab said. “I liked the course. It was very technical and hard because it was so steep with soft ground and a lot of switchbacks, but it was fun.”

Mogab will be moving up to the A bracket from now on due to her phenomenal riding ability.

In the men’s A short track, sophomore Nick Ranno lead the Rams, finishing seventh. Three CSU cyclists finished in the top 17 in the B bracket and another two placed in the top 14 of the C bracket.

The short track is a very strategic event where the riders have to carefully pace themselves. It starts with all of the cyclists riding for 30-40 minutes on a 1.5-mile track, and then when that time is up, they have to finish a few final laps.

“The short track was set up around the campsite so the spectators could sit and watch,” Ceridon said. “It was a very spectator-friendly course.”

Sophomore Alex Reynolds had a spectacular weekend as he raced in all three events. He took second in C short track, second in C cross country and fifth in C downhill.

After a one-year absence from the tournament, the Rams were happy to be back.

Many improvements were made to the course, as well as new trail additions, some of which were designed by Ceridon himself.

“I raced in Belgium in the World Cup and designed the terrain around that,” Ceridon said. “I heard one of the international racers say that it was the best course by far that he had ever ridden.”

One of the new trails was even named in honor of CSU and will forever be called Rams Horn.

There were over 200 racers from all over the Rocky Mountain Region including cyclists from the University of Colorado, the University of Northern Colorado, Western State, Ft. Lewis, Mesa State, Red Rocks, the University of Denver, and Colorado College.

Next weekend CSU will travel to Durango for the Squacker Classic hosted by Ft. Lewis and get one more race under its belt before regionals Oct. 5-6 hosted by Western State in Gunnison. The Rams will finish the season at nationals in Angel Fire, N.M., Oct. 29-30. This event will be nationally televised by Fox.