Museum opens flood exhibit

Authors: Cara Mason

Some people’s Friday night activity does not include an outing to the museum.

However, perceptions of museums may be altered when attending the exhibit History Floods at the Fort Collins Museum on 200 Matthews Street.

“We want to tell Fort Collins’ history with some fun to it,” said Beth Higgins, public relations and development coordinator for the Fort Collins Museum.

The grand opening of History Floods was Friday night. About 250 people attended.

History Floods portrays the development of the Fort Collins community since 1864, when the Poudre River Flood placed Fort Collins in its present location.

The first phase is currently on display. This phase of the exhibit includes information about the people and agriculture.

The second phase which opens later in the year will summarize the memories and technology of Fort Collins.

Excitement is brought to this exhibit by adding splashes of color, playful fonts, and bits of humor throughout the displays.

“We want to prove that a museum has a potential of being vibrant and colorful,” Higgins said.

In addition to the varied displays, the structure of the museum will also be modified. The museum entrance will be rerouted through the courtyard in order to allow easier access to the museum.

“Flood” is used as a metaphor to describe the massive amounts of people, agriculture and ranching that poured into Fort Collins and shaped the community, Higgins said.

When walking through the many displays one is submersed in past times and gains a true feeling of what it was like to live in Fort Collins during the past 100 years.

According to the City of Fort Collins Web site, www.fcgov.com, the exhibit will be at the museum through 2007. The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. Admission is free and donations are welcomed.

Graphic:

Culture Bug