Fraternity hosts 5k race

Authors: Laura Kath

The fourth annual Fort Collins, Fort Collins 5k run, put on by the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity, will take place September 28, 2002.

The Ft. Collins, Ft. Collins 5k is the Ft. Collins’ version of Boulder’s Bolder Boulder. Eric Glenn, from TKE, came up with the idea for the race four years ago. This year it is on September 28 at 9 a.m. in the Oval.

Bob Jason remembers how it started and said, “It was one of those things. We were sitting around and the Bolder Boulder was on and it seemed like a great idea for up here.”

Bryan Petite, who is coordinating the race, thinks the first year was a memorable race.

“The first race was 15 degrees outside, there was snow and 15 people showed up,” he said.

Last year at least 40 people came to run. About half that showed up were students and the other half were non-students from around the country, Petite said. Some came from Virginia and Minnesota.

The Fort Collins, Fort Collins 5k run benefits the Larimer County Boys and Girls club.

For the first two years the race was benefiting the American Cancer Society, but TKE Fraternity who is organizing the race, wanted to have more of an impact closer to home, which according to Glenn was the whole reason for starting the race.

“Our chapter didn’t have enough stuff for the community,” Glenn said.

The first year the race raked in $500 dollars, but as the race has been getting steadily bigger each year, the profits are closer to $6000. All the earnings go to the Boys and Girls Club of Larimer County, except for a little bit of money which pays for a few miscellaneous expenses, such as t-shirts.

The entrance forms can be found at www.active.com or Foot of the Rockies. Runners can also sign up on the day of the race or can drop off applications at the TKE house at 1504 Benington St. in Fort Collins. The cost is $10 for students and $15 for non-students.