Authors: Joelle Milholm

The CSU cycling team is looking forward to this weekend when it will race in the Beaver Meadows Mania Mountain Bike Race in Red Feather, Colo.

“There will be over 100 individual racers, including collegiate teams from all over Colorado, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming,” sophomore vice president Nathanael Ksaizkiewicz said. “There will also be professional and nonprofessional racers from all over the Rocky Mountain Region. It is going to be a huge race.”

The team said the race is Northern Colorado’s finest sanctioned race ever. With a number of new trails and the beautiful Colorado scenery, it should be a very enjoyable weekend for the team. The short track and downhill races will take place on Saturday while the cross country and an observed trails exhibition will be on Sunday. It will be the third competition of the Rocky Mountain Collegiate Conference Race.

The Rams also raced last weekend in the Happy Jack race in Wyoming. Over 15 cyclists participated in the event and CSU placed very well. Sophomore Nick Ranno had another great race taking seventh in both men’s A short track and men’s A cross country.

Senior Justin Maka finished 22nd behind Ranno in the men’s A short track, but had some bad luck when he got a flat tire on Sunday in the cross country race.

Four CSU racers finished in the top 25 in the men’s B short track, including junior Spencer Eason, who had to overcome a huge challenge. With one and a half laps left, Eason’s chain broke, not allowing him to finish the race.

Or so people thought. Instead of giving up, he picked up his bike and carried it across the finish line.

“One of the links broke off of my chain and I did not have the tools to fix it,” Eason said. “All I wanted to do was finish the race. It was first race in several years and it was pretty difficult, but I just wanted to finish.”

The women’s side also had a successful weekend. Although they only had three bikers, they all finished in the top 13 in women’s B cross country. Leading the way was senior Kelly Mogab in second place. Showing up only seconds before the race, she still managed to finish second.

Graduate student Sam Ceridon, president of the club, is very encouraged by the strong women’s cycling so far this season.

“If you are a woman and want to have an excellent time racing, hook up with our women’s team,” Ceridon said. “I honestly believe that we have the start of something cool here and I am psyched.”????

Around 20 cyclists are planning on racing this weekend and CSU has high expectations. For those who would like to attend or find out more information, check out the team’s website at www.RamsCycling.com.